Re: Much high interest factorness.

Subject: Re: Much high interest factorness.
predictr@bellatlantic.net
Date: Sun Oct 08 2000 - 19:43:38 MET DST

Chris Saunders wrote:
"I have come across this "fuzzy logic" stuff not so long ago, and although it is
linked to Artificial Intelligence and involves something called Artificial
Nueral Networks, I don't know much about it.
Can someone please point me towards documentation (or even take the time to
briefly write a reply) that briefly explains the definition of fuzzy logic?"

While there are areas of overlap, fuzzy logic and artificial neural networks are
two different things. For a good, free introduction to each of them, see the
FAQs for comp.ai.fuzzy and comp.ai.neural-nets.

"My understanding of it so far is that fuzzy logic is where a small series of
artificial nuerons calculate the "weight" of data they recieve (which I assume
is binary, yes or no, input?). Based on this, they pass on a figure (or
"weight") to the next nueron, and so on. What I want to know, is what are these
"weights", and how does it "learn" a pattern? (ie: what changes in an
artificial nueral net to allow different processing in the future?)"

What you have written above is a coarse description of an artificial neural
network. To learn more about them, try the above mentioned FAQ or any of the
following books (in no particular order):

"Neural Networks for Statistical Modeling" by Murray Smith
"Introduction to Neural Networks" by Jeanette Lawrence
"Naturally Intelligent Systems" by Caudill and Butler

Will Dwinnell
predictr@bellatlantic.net