Analogical reasoning with similarity measures

Subject: Analogical reasoning with similarity measures
From: Chris Cornelis (Chris.Cornelis@rug.ac.be)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 19:33:39 MET DST

Hello,

    For my Ph.D. I am investigating the use of similarity measures in
the inference step in fuzzy control/fuzzy expert systems. Starting from a
 rule

        if X is A then Y is B

 and an instance of data

        X is A'

the object is to assess the similarity of A and A', on the basis of which
we try to find a convenient modification B' of the consequence B
("reasoning by analogy", proposed by Turksen and Zhong).

Does anybody know of any realistic implementations of this alternative to
Zadeh's compositional rule of inference? Or, perhaps has done
research/can give references on the suitability of certain similarity
measures for this specific issue?

Thanks in advance,

Chris Cornelis
Fuzziness and uncertainty modelling research unit
University of Ghent, Belgium