Re: Causality and dying rosebushes,bastanib@SLU.EDU, TIME

Subject: Re: Causality and dying rosebushes,bastanib@SLU.EDU, TIME
From: Ellen Hisdal (ellen@ifi.uio.no)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2000 - 16:42:30 MET DST

This is a response to mory@interchange.ubc.ca's
`Response to a Response' (copied at the end of this letter):

Mory writes:
> Zadeh suggests that causality is not definable (see the copy of his article
> at the end of this email).
> In a response to Zadeh, Ellen Hisdal from BISC, suggests that causality can
> somehow be defined (see the copy of the article below).

I have not tried to give a complete definition of causality, only an
extremely partial one. All I am saying is that in certain special cases
it is possible to say that an event E1 cannot have been the cause of
an event E2. These cases can be identified by the time difference
and the distance between their occurrences.

> In the Critique of Pure Reason, Kant states:
> "all substances so far as they can be perceived as coexistent are always
> affecting each other reciprocally."

My knowledge of philosophy is very small. However, I am impressed by
Kant's qualification `so far as they can be perceived as coexistent'.
I assume that this qualification is connected with the above time difference.
The lack of rain was not coexistent with the dying of the rosebush.
A physicist has thus more precise means of defining `coexistence'.
For example, the dying of my rosebush has not caused the previous lack of rain.
Hopefully both Kant and Mory agree with this statement?

Greetings from Ellen H.

         Copy of previous correspondence: