Getting output values to the "edges"

Subject: Getting output values to the "edges"
From: Peter Immarco (me@nospam.net)
Date: Sun Sep 03 2000 - 06:01:45 MET DST

Hello, I have a fuzzy logic system that take two inputs, and maps them
to a single output. The range of the output variable is 0 - 1, however,
the effective range is 0.2 - 0.8. The problem is trying to achieve
values at the limits of the output range, because the centroid mechanism
takes the centroid of a fuzzy set that is near the limit of the range,
which naturally "pulls" it away from the edge. I thought of making the
fuzzy sets at the limit of the output range singleton sets, but won't
they lose badly then in a centroid defuzzification with a neighboring
larger fuzzy set?

Of course I could simply rescale the range to 0 - 1, but I am wondering
if there is a "standard" technique for achieving what I want to achieve
here. Any ideas?

Thanks.