The GENESIS Project - Phase 1 completed

Subject: The GENESIS Project - Phase 1 completed
From: Harris Georgiou (xgeorgio@hol.gr)
Date: Sun Jul 30 2000 - 21:43:29 MET DST

The GENESIS project completes one month of life on the net and we are happy
to announce that the initial phase is complete. Many members throughout the
world have already joined us in this quest and the project setup on-line
(web site, mailing list) is complete.

The GENESIS project is an idea realized by a small group of researchers
and postgraduate students from Greece, with common interests in
artificial intelligence, adaptive agents and distributed systems. Based
in the concepts of A-life, our goal is to create a useful, modular,
robust, distributed virtual environment which will be used for the
deployment of various kinds of "intelligent" agents. Using a common
framework for both environment and agents' basic architecture, we should
be able to deploy different kinds of agents with the one and common goal
of survival through genetic optimization and behavioral adaptation to
the environment. Using various control schemes for each agent class,
from genetic algorithms, neural networks, fuzzy rule set, even linear
optimization, we should be able to observe the effectiveness of each
method in a competitive environment. The development platform is Sun's Java
2 JDK 1.2 (or later) and the Java RMI
core API. The programming stages will begin erly this September.

For more information about the GENESIS project, visit the web site
at:
        http://www.geocities.com/genesis_proj/index.html
Detailed info about the project goal, framework and architecture can be
found in the "White Paper #1" link on the main page.
The project's forum is set up at eGroups and we are looking forward to new
members:
        http://www.egroups.com/group/GENproj
Anyone who wishes to join our discussion forum can do so using the signup
banner on the web site, or directly in the eGroups.

Anyone who is interested in actively participating in the project can join
us using the member signup form on the web site. For any comments or
questions, feel free to send a message at:
        mailto:genesis_proj@yahoo.com

We are looking forward to your comments and suggestions.

GENESIS
Project Admin Team