Re: fuzzy -- in disquise?

Subject: Re: fuzzy -- in disquise?
From: Will Dwinnell (predictor@compuserve.com)
Date: Sat Jun 10 2000 - 07:09:51 MET DST

Yaochu Jin wrote:
"From a mathematic point of view, both fuzzy systems and feedforward NNs are
interpolation algorithms."

This is a limited view of "fuzzy systems". This perspective is apparently
restricted to fuzzy rule-based systems. What about fuzzy clustering or fuzzy
optimization? I submit that you have selected a convenient subset of all possible
fuzzy mechanisms to suit your criticism, which is a straw-man argument. Yes, most
fuzzy rule-based systems as used in practice are models, as you describe, but so are
many other (useful) systems, such as kernel regression, induced decision trees,
etc. At a sufficient level of abstraction, thing srun together, but this is a
trivial observation. You have yet to address the reality that many people have
built useful systems using (various) fuzzy logical techniques. If they work, I
don't see what the problem is.

Will Dwinnell
predictor@compuserve.com