Re: fuzzy -- in disquise?

Subject: Re: fuzzy -- in disquise?
From: Paul Victor Birke (nonlinear@home.com)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 16:43:17 MET DST

Will Dwinnell wrote:

> HX Li wrote:
> "Unfortunately, fuzzy set theory is nothing else but an interpolation algorithm
> in disguise."
>
> I am always leery of assertions that attack this way: it is "nothing more
> than..." Let's even assume for a moment that this statement is true. Is it not
> still possible that some of the tools developed in the fuzzy logic field are
> useful (even, if "only" as ways of developing "interpolation algorithms"?).
>
> Taking the pragmatic perspective, either useful things can be done with fuzzy
> logic or they cannot. If they can, then extremely broad "criticisms" such as the
> above are philosophical. The record to date for fuzzy logical solutions to real
> problems is impressive.
>
> Last, how much credibility should we assign a statement such as the following?
>
> "Prof. Dr. Hongxing Li of Beijing Normal
> University has proven it in his paper:
> "Relationship Between Fuzzy Controllers and PID Controllers""
>
> Does this paper "prove" that all types of fuzzy logical systems are useless? The
> title alone suggests otherwise.
Dear Will

At Westinghouse, we used to say " if it smells like bullshit and looks
like bullshit, it must be bullshit" !!

It does that fellow a great discredit to talk in that fashion.

Real applications count and fuzzy has made a huge difference and it is
truly a different philosophical base than say Probability Theory (also
another touted disguise).

Paul