Re: fuzzy -- in disquise?

Subject: Re: fuzzy -- in disquise?
From: Koczy Laszlo (koczy@david.ttt.bme.hu)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 14:05:38 MET DST

Dear Colleagues,

This remark has a core of truth but is nonsense in this form. Fuzzy set
theory is not identical with rule based fuzzy control algorithms, but much
more. Of course, rule based fuzzy approaches ARE interpolation techniques,
but not in disguise. If you follow the literature you will notice that
especially during the past 10 years a huge amount of papers were published
on this subject, a few dozens by myself and my colleagues. However, even
so, a large number of different interpolation techniques can be
implemented by fuzzy rule based methods, some of them are completely
unknown in the non-fuzzy literature, some of them are extensions of
existing methods (such as the Shepard-interpolation).

I hope the fact that fuzzy has a close connection with approximation
theory is not considered as a negative but as a positive fact!

best wishes,

Laszlo Koczy