Re: Fuzzy Classification

Subject: Re: Fuzzy Classification
From: Will Dwinnell (predictor@compuserve.com)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 12:21:20 MET DST

Claudia Franco wrote:
"I would like to know if you know web sites where I can find full explanations
about fuzzy classification (fuzzy clustering)..."

Classification and clsutering are different tasks. In classificiation, there is
some target concept which distinguishes one set from another. With clustering,
the idea is merely to produce "natural" groupings. Fuzziness hasbeen applied to
both tasks. Probably the most widespread implementation of fuzzy clustering is
fuzzy c-means, which is a fuzzified variant of k-means clustering and which can
be foudn in MATLAB's Fuzzy Logic Toolbox. Fuzzy classification can be performed
automatically (as in fuzzy ID3), but fuzzy classification systems (as opposed to
neural networks, etc.) very often are constructed by hand. For some good fuzzy
references, see books authored or co-authored by Earl Cox or George Klir.

Will Dwinnell
predictor@compuserve.com