Re: Thinking & Information Retrieval

Subject: Re: Thinking & Information Retrieval
From: James Hunter (James.Hunter@jhuapl.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 14:37:46 MET DST

Seth Russell wrote:

> James Hunter wrote:
>
> > People are directing the information passing on the Internet
> > in same way my TV Guide directs information, so there is no
> > essential difference.
>
> I think you are talking about a different Internet
> and a different TV Guide than I am talking about.

   No, I'm talking about the very same ones. I think you
   are talking about some bizzare form of "information"
   theory that you are just making up on the fly.
   That's philosophy. You won't ever find many spys
   asking the inquiring minds of blubber-mouth philosophers
   about "information".

   That's how Turing fits into the AI equation.
   He not only worked for a spy agency, he was also bright.

> Your idea of "information retrieval"

> > is no different than if you were standing face-to-face
> > talking to somebody, so the *net* has nothing to do
> > conscious or subconsciousness.

> Take a group of people, put them in a room and give
> them 10 hard factual questions, allow them to talk
> with each other, see how many questions the group
> answers correctly. Do it again but give them access
> to the Internet and some decent knowledge management(KM)
> tools. The group with access to the internet will
> answer far more questions. If you doubt that, then
> this discussion is over till you perform the experiment.

    I doubt that seriously very much, and since -you- proposed
    this "experiment", then -you- perform it. I think the
    psychology departments of all the Podunk U's around the
    world will view your "experiment" with suspicions.

> Now lets look at it from another point of view. The
> best way to get a hard question answered is to be talking
> face-to-face with a person who has experience in the
> subject area. If you don't know such a person but
> nevertheless you found them using the net+KMtools, are you
> then to turn around and deny the essential agency of the
> net in that process?

   Since I personally use the Internet quite a bit, I don't
   doubt it's inherent utility in the information area. I doubt
   seriously it's ability to give me -all- the information I want.

> I don't see how you can reasonably say that using the
> net+KMtools has nothing to do with the process of
> information retrieval. Perhaps we are living on
> different planets.

    Maybe different universes.