Re: Thinking & Information Retrieval

Subject: Re: Thinking & Information Retrieval
From: James Hunter (James.Hunter@jhuapl.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 12:45:26 MET DST

Patrik Bagge wrote:

> James Hunter wrote in message <390662A3.CE1EE896@Jhuapl.edu>...
> >

> >Seth Russell wrote:

> interesting topic. I tend to agree with Arthur,
> 'input patterns' external/internal affect the focus
> of thought. If one suddenly feels pain in the stomach
> , the thoughts are going to follow.
> The association mechanism is imho a very important
> part of our intellectual functionality.
> "fly" associates to birds, airplanes, insects, pain in my ears
> a little plastic mug wih Baileys with ice etc
> This association mechanism seems to play an essential
> part in our selection of thought.
>
> > I was talking about the *architecture* of broadcasting,
> > not any specific content.
>
> The "architecture" seems to be more organized on the Web.
> and probably will increase in the future (XML etc)
> No such attempts are made on TV broadcast
> it's much more 'get attention/viewers' oriented than WWW.

   The "get attention/viewers" has something to do with *content*
   I believe. People watch TV because it has *some* content.
   People don't read many AI treatises because they have close
   to no content worth mentioning, or at least nothing you
   would write home to mom about.

   *All* architectures are organized in *some* way.
    The point everybody seems to be trying to get across
    to the "intelligensia" is that it is the *wrong* fucking way.