Re: Thinking & Information Retrieval

Subject: Re: Thinking & Information Retrieval
From: Arthur T. Murray (uj797@victoria.tc.ca)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 15:23:05 MET DST

http://www.geocities.com/mentifex/theory5.html is the basis of
http://www.geocities.com/mentifex/mind4th.html Mind.Forth PD AI.

> When we do research in a
> library or on the web, our attention also switches from
> one topic (page, paper, email, news post) to another.
> It seems to me that the science of information retrieval
> is converging on duplicating the subconscious function
> of mental retrieval and therefore of thinking.

> Comments ?

The mental processes of information retrieval may be simply
a function of spreading activation. A query term such as
"Mayday" will activate first some really obvious concept
like the Russian Politburo reviewing the march of troops,
then, as the first responding concepts lose activation,
subsequent ideas occur, such as the French "m'aidez!" command
which we interpret in English as a "May Day!" distress signal.

> Seth Russell
> http://RobustAi.net/Ai/Conjecture.htm
> Interesting new site: http://www.SemanticWeb.org/

SemanticWeb is indeed an interesting site; thank you!

--
Why do so many of the Greats of AI have four-letter names?
Alan, Andy, Bart, Bill, Dave, Doug, Drew, Hans, Harv, Jeff,