Re: Thinking & Information Retrieval

Subject: Re: Thinking & Information Retrieval
From: Seth Russell (seth@robustai.net)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 12:22:53 MET DST

James Hunter wrote:

> Seth Russell wrote:
>
> > It's interesting to note the parallels between thinking
> > and information retrieval. When we think our attention
> > switches from one topic to another in a train of thought.
> > Who knows how it does that, but it does do it, and the
> > process is subconscious. When we do research in a
> > library or on the web, out attention also switches from
> > one topic (page, paper, email, news post) to another.
> > It seems to me that the science of information retrieval
> > is converging on duplicating the subconscious function
> > of mental retrieval and therefore of thinking.
> >
> > Comments ?
>
> I think information retrieval is an important of thinking,
> but I don't think computer/Net archetectures are anything
> like the brain's internal organization. There is nothing
> directing the information passing on the Web.

People are directing the information passing on the Internet.

> Broadcast radio & television are closer to being "thinking"
> archectures than the Web is.

Broadcasting has been around for several decades and is getting
dumber every year. The peer-to-peer internet is less than 1 decade
old (as a mass medium) and has already developed more smarts than
all the broadcasting networks combined. Since broadcast mode is
one-to-many; all the intelligence must come from the one; it is a
simple
hierarchy incapable of the feedback loops required for intelligent
interaction. The only thing mass broadcast media is good for is
totalitarian government and wasting time.

I'm sure you have a point, but you certainly have not made it.

--
Seth Russell
http://RobustAi.net/Ai/SymKnow.htm