Lotfi's fuzzy edge challenge

Subject: Lotfi's fuzzy edge challenge
From: Jim Keller (keller@cecs.missouri.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 15 2000 - 07:39:58 MET DST

Hey all:

  I just wanted to follow up on Lotfi's challenge: "A Challenge: What is
an Edge?" Lotfi talked to me about this problem, but I had to tell him
that, while I thought about it in the past, I had found nothing that I
could contribute to significantly answering this question. From a
practical point of view, I would like to add a second challenge: "what
does a amorphic definition of an edge give us?", i.e., what is the
practical benefit of considering the three facets suggested by Lotfi? Does
it give rise to better scene description language? Can we generate better
face recognition systems?, etc. I personally doubt if it will produce
better edge detection per se. In particular, just fuzzifying the output of
standard (or novel) derivative approximators really doesn't help in itself.
 What additional information does this new understanding of what
constitutes an edge bring to bear on a real image processing problem? I'm
sure that there are advantages to be gained; I just don't know them.

So, here's my pitch. You know that I am editor-in-chief of the IEEE Trans.
Fuzzy Systems. I'd love to have serious and practical answers (approaches)
to this question appear in TFS (that way, I certainly won't miss them as
they develop). If you take up Lotfi's challenge, please consider
submitting your work to TFS. Thanks

Best Regards,

jim

Jim Keller
Professor
Computer Engineering and Computer Science Department
217 Engineering Building West
University of Missouri-Columbia
Columbia, MO 65211-2060
(573) 882-7339 (voice)