ECAI 2000 WS on Balancing Reactivity and Social Deliberation in MAS

Subject: ECAI 2000 WS on Balancing Reactivity and Social Deliberation in MAS
From: Markus Hannebauer (hannebau@first.gmd.de)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 11:54:56 MET DST

[Please apologize if you receive multiple copies of this message.]

                Second Call for Papers/Participation

 BALANCING REACTIVITY AND SOCIAL DELIBERATION IN MULTI-AGENT SYSTEMS

                         A Workshop at the
   14th European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI 2000)

            http://www.first.gmd.de/plan/ecai-2000-ws.html

                  Berlin, Germany, August 22nd, 2000

Important Dates
---------------

  Deadline for submission: May 1st, 2000
  Notification: June 1st, 2000
  Deadline for camera-ready papers: June 10th, 2000
  Workshop: August 22nd, 2000

Scope
-----

  Today's envisioned applications of intelligent systems in general
  and multi-agent systems in particular confront researchers and
  developers with the difficulty of finding the right balance between
  reactive and socially deliberative behavior. Reactive systems are
  capable of adapting very quickly to unforeseen changes in the en-
  vironment and are hence said to be more robust and efficient. On
  the other hand, they usually lack the necessary overview to produce
  behavior that can compete with the results of in-depth reasoning
  techniques. In contrary to that, socially deliberative systems
  allow for exploiting environmental information and coordination
  mechanisms to build up through-thought individual and even team-
  oriented strategies. Though their problem-solving results are
  usually much better than in reactive systems, deliberative systems
  are much more susceptible to dynamic environments and often lack
  the potential for real-time computation.

  This workshop focuses on theoretical, technical and practical work
  on balancing between these two extremes in the context of collabo-
  rative work in multi-agent systems. Contributions from Artificial
  Intelligence as well as Robotics are welcome.

  Theoretical and technical topics of interest include, but are not
  restricted to:

    - Extension of reactive systems by cooperation

    - Teaching deliberative systems reactivity and real-time

    - Efficient coordination, cooperation and organization approaches

    - Anytime approaches and algorithms

    - Design and evaluation of hybrid multi-level agent architectures

    - Short-term, medium-term and long-term intentionality

    - Enriching group behavior by environmental, opponent and social
      models

    - Individual and social adaptivity

  To keep the workshop focussed, we encourage practical contributions
  to be directed at:

    - Multi-agent problem solving (planning, scheduling, control ...)

      Real-world problems often require distributed solving strate-
      gies, because of natural distribution, social competence and
      efficiency matters. Multi-agent approaches to such problems are
      said to be more robust than monolithic systems, but usually en-
      tail worse solutions. How can this be overcome by better balan-
      cing between reactive and deliberative behavior?

    - RoboCup

      RoboCup has proven to be a great and challenging benchmarking
      scenario both to Robotics and Artificial Intelligence. In
      RoboCup reactivity and real-time are a must, but social delibe-
      ration gets more and more important to match the world's lea-
      ding teams. Hence, there is much research work to be done con-
      sidering the topics of this workshop.

      IMPORTANT: Papers that focus on RoboCup-specific topics should
      make clear how the work could be applied to other domains as
      well. We encourage you to pick at least one specific domain and
      argue that such is the case.

Submissions
-----------

  Participation in the workshop will be restricted to 30 persons. We
  encourage active participation by inviting only people with sub-
  mitted papers or with a single-page statement of interest, reflec-
  ting the authors' concrete relation to the field and topic. All
  workshop participants must register for ECAI 2000.

  Informal pre-proceedings of the workshop will be published in time
  to be available at the workshop. Additionally, Springer-Verlag has
  committed to publish an edited version of the workshop proceedings
  in its well-known Lecture Notes on Artificial Intelligence series
  (http://www.springer.de/comp/lncs/index.html). Authors of selected
  papers will be asked to extend their articles for inclusion in this
  LNAI volume.

  Papers should be formatted according to the LNAI style guide for
  authors (refer to http://www.springer.de/comp/lncs/authors.html)
  and should not exceed 12 pages.

  Papers should be submitted as Postscript-files and additionally as
  pure Tex- and Eps-files via eMail to the contact person named be-
  low. Alternatively, send four copies of your paper via ordinary
  mail to the address of the contact person. Electronic submission is
  strongly preferred.

  Deadline for submission: May 1st, 2000
  Notification: June 1st, 2000
  Deadline for camera-ready papers: June 10th, 2000
  Workshop: August 22nd, 2000

Organizing committee
--------------------

  Markus Hannebauer (contact person)
    Planning and Optimization Laboratory
    Research Institute for Computer Architecture
      and Software Technology (FIRST)
    GMD - German National Research Center for Information Technology

    Kekulestrasse 7, 12489 Berlin, Germany

    Tel.: +49-30-6392 1866
    Fax.: +49-30-6392 1805
    eMail: hannebau@first.gmd.de
    WWW: www.first.gmd.de/~hannebau

  Jan Wendler
    Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
    Department of Computer Science
    Humboldt University Berlin

    Rudower Chaussee 25, 12489 Berlin, Germany

    Tel.: +49-30-2093 3170
    Fax.: +49-30-2093 3168
    eMail: wendler@informatik.hu-berlin.de
    WWW: www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~wendler

  Enrico Pagello
    Department of Electronics and Informatics
    Faculty of Engineering
    University of Padua

    Via Gradenigo 6/a, 35131 Padova, Italy

    Tel.: +39-049-827 7687
    Fax.: +39-049-827 7699
    eMail: epv@dei.unipd.it
    WWW: www.dei.unipd.it

Program committee
-----------------

  Minoru Asada, Osaka University, Japan
  Hans-Dieter Burkhard, Humboldt University Berlin, Germany
  Silvia Coradeschi, Oerebro University, Sweden
  Klaus Dorer, Freiburg University, Germany
  Peter Jarvis, SRI International, USA
  Christoph Jung, infor AG, Germany
  Gal Kaminka, University of Southern California, USA
  Joerg P. Mueller, Siemens AG, Germany
  Itsuki Noda, Stanford University, USA
  Daniel Polani, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Germany
  Martin Riedmiller, Karlsruhe University, Germany
  Jukka Riekki, University of Oulu, Finland
  Josep Lluis de la Rosa, University of Girona, Spain
  Peter Stone, AT&T Laboratories Research, USA
  Manuela Veloso, Carnegie Mellon University, USA
  Joerg Wilberg, GMD AiS, Germany

Additional information
----------------------

  ECAI 2000 homepage
  http://www.ecai2000.hu-berlin.de

  Workshop homepage
  http://www.first.gmd.de/plan/ecai-2000-ws.html

| Markus Hannebauer                       www.first.gmd.de/~hannebau |
| Dipl.-Inform., Research Fellow               hannebau@first.gmd.de |
| Research Institute for Computer Architecture                       |
|   and Software Technology (FIRST)                                  |
|                                      phone:    +49- 30-63 92 18 66 |
| German National Research Center      cell. p.: +49-177-267 43 60   |
|   for Information Technology (GMD)   fax:      +49- 30-63 92 18 05 |