[Next Big Thing:] Hot new topics in AI

Subject: [Next Big Thing:] Hot new topics in AI
From: Arthur T. Murray (uj797@victoria.tc.ca)
Date: Sun Mar 12 2000 - 00:48:20 MET

lvirden@cas.org wrote on 11 Mar 2000:

> According to Chris Armstrong <punck@SpamIsBadPenguinPowered.com>:
> :but I want to get onto the bagwagon of the Next
> :Big Thing, if a thing exists. :))

In normal accounting, you ask your CPA, "How much is two plus two?"
-- and the answer is, exactly 4.000000.

In "creative accounting," you also ask, "How much is two plus two?"
-- and the accountant answers, "How much do you want it to be?"

In "creative programming," you ask, "What is the Next Big Thing?"
-- the answer is the stampede in the Valley of the Thundering Hoofs.

> Has anyone done a 'history of programming methodologies' -
The "Tom Sawyer methodology" is to start a stampede with PD AI
http://www.geocities.com/mentifex/mind4th.html and let the
Best of the 'Net "paint the fence" for you for free.

> covering the varying trends in 'Next Big Things'? I know
-- Marshall McLuhan wrote some books about the Next Big Media.

> that I'm aware of a few - programming itself at the beginning,
We are at the beginning of the road ahead to AI Singularity i.e.
http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~phoenix/vinge/vinge-sing.html Omega.

> higher level languages (aka COBOL), structured programming,
Forth, dear Edgar, forces you to code structured programming.

> client/server, GUI programming, object oriented programming,
Have you witnessed the meteoric rising sun of Ruby out of Japan?
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/ -- a pure object-oriented language.

> design patterns, Java (or perhaps better stated - internet-
> oriented programming).

Let one hundred AI projects blossom on the 'Net
Let one hundred voices rise up for your student
Let Alife loose at http://mentifex.netpedia.net/

> I'm sure there are other major foci across the general
> landscape of the industry. What is next though? What
> will be the next major trend covered in all the industry
> magazines, discussed at almost every major conference,
> abuzz in all the management circles as 'the thing'
> to require their staff to learn, etc.?
The creative question is not "What is the Next Big Thing?"
but "What do you want it to be?" Quoth the Beatles: Let it be.