Re: Please help in Neural Network Implementaion !!

Subject: Re: Please help in Neural Network Implementaion !!
From: Joe Smith (jsmith@currentreviews.com)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 20:44:04 MET

Dear Chin:

Chin Wei Chuen wrote:

> Regarding the prediction of Y vs [X], which in fact is a pattern recognition
> problem, there are two classes of Neural Network algorithms,i.e. supervised and
> unsupervised training methods.

Which of the two classes do you think could be more accurate in resolving the
problem ?

> In your case of unsupervised training (that is: you don't have the actual Y
> values) then you would need to use NN algorithms like Kohonen or Hopfield
> networks. Feel free to read up on those

If I understand you correctly, using a Hopfield network design "I do not need
the real values of Y" just the rank order of Y. Is that correct ?

> For supervised training, which I am more familiar with, you would require some
> training data that includes both X and Y values to form the weights and later
> feeding your newly formed subjects into the network to predict the outcome.
> Traditional supervised Neural Network algorithms include the Multi-Layer
> Perceptron (MLP) network using backprop or the Radial Basis Function.

Out of all the above network designs, which one is best at solving non-linear
problems ?

Thanks again for the help ...

Joe Smith
jsmith@currentreviews.com