Re: Adding more evidence

Subject: Re: Adding more evidence
From: Martine De Cock (Martine.DeCock@rug.ac.be)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 22:50:06 MET

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Pavel Shumilov wrote:

> What our poor watermelon needs, and what Kami's director wants, is only to
> judge - is an object a watermelon, or not?

And furthermore : what's the (degree of) possibility that it is a
watermelon.

> In the case with our watermelon fuzzy logic should gives only one of two
> possible crisp output values ("yes" or "no"), and not an intermediate value
> between them. If we got the membership value of "the object is a
> watermelon"
> 0.6, could it help us?

I think this 0.6 has to be considered as the degree of possibility that
the object is a watermelon. But I'm still wondering if an input of say 0.4
for the antecedent part "inside is red" should be considered as a degree
of possibility or a degree of membership. In the first case we are dealing
with a problem in possibility theory, while in the latter (which I prefer
intuitively) it's a mixed fuzzy and possibility theory problem.

Kind regards,
Martine.