Re: Adding more evidence

Subject: Re: Adding more evidence
From: Pavel Shumilov (pavel_mail@chat.ru)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 09:59:33 MET

Good afternoon, gentlemen.

As I see, Kami ROUSSEAU roused a big dispute on a watermelon's fate, but I
think there are still some misunderstandings.
I'll try to show the doubts that Kami's director may have. I am sorry
beforehand, if my thoughts will look too naive to the "monsters of fuzzy"
living here.

What our poor watermelon needs, and what Kami's director wants, is only to
judge - is an object a watermelon, or not?

Of course, fuzzy logic works well where we need a fuzzy output (before
actuators, e.g. "increase a little", and so on).

In the case with our watermelon fuzzy logic should gives only one of two
possible crisp output values ("yes" or "no"), and not an intermediate value
between them. If we got the membership value of "the object is a watermelon"
0.6, could it help us?
If the problem was to choose a "ripe watermelon" instead of just a
watermelon, fuzzy logic seems to perform better.

So I think that Kami's director is doubtful in ability of fuzzy logic to
deal effectively with such sort of problems, where it have to choose only
between two ways - say, the problems like "to be, or not to be."

Regards,
Pavel Shumilov