Re: New to the list and the area

Subject: Re: New to the list and the area
From: Paul Victor Birke (nonlinear@home.com)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 13:25:19 MET

Lise Stoyell wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have two questions which I hope are appropriate for the list. As I have just
> joined I am unsure of the usual level so please accept my apologies if it too
> basic.
>
> 1. Could anyone recommend some good references on constructing membership
> functions from qualitative interviews or opinions gathered from group decision
> making tasks?

Good question!!

Assuming an ordinary symmetrical fuzzy function and recognizing it is a
nonlinear curve you need a minimum of 5 points to get a good regression
fit. Therefore the question space must be 5.

I would be interested in the other answers here. This is an important
human-to-machine interface so I am perplexed to know this is not common
knowledge/method in Fuzzy approach.

Paul Birke, P. Eng. NN Researcher in Guelph ON CANADA