Re: Justification for FLC

Subject: Re: Justification for FLC
From: Bruce Postlethwaite (b.postlethwaite@strath.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 11:52:53 MET

>> I have no problem debating and discussing justification issues. My
>main
>> objection was your statement that "there is no justification for
>their use
>> in processes where mathematical models exists". This is simply not
>> correct.
>>

>Can you elaborate why this is not correct. Anything apart from reduced
>complexicity.

When you talk about a model that's what you are talking about. A standard
mathematical model isn't reality. Neither is a fuzzy model. The thing that
matters is what you can do with them.

Even a standard mathematical model can have different levels of
complexity/usefulness - do you represent a distillation column as a set of
transfer functions, or do you use tray by tray energy and mass balances?
Both models are equally valid. So when you say that a 'model' exisits you
need to be much more specific. A model of a process also exists inside
operators heads, and many fuzzy systems make use of this.