ECAI 2000 and PAIS 2000 Final Call for Papers

Subject: ECAI 2000 and PAIS 2000 Final Call for Papers
From: ECAI 2000 Publicity [Markus Hannebauer] (hannebau@first.gmd.de)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 14:22:59 MET

[Please accept our apologies for multiple copies of this reminder.]

------------------ FINAL CALL FOR PAPERS ------------------------

                     ECAI 2000/PAIS 2000
      14th European Conference on Artificial Intelligence
        Prestigious Applications of Intelligent Systems

                 Berlin, Humboldt University
                      August 20-25, 2000

               http://www.ecai2000.hu-berlin.de

---------------
IMPORTANT DATES
---------------

    2 Feb 2000 Deadline for paper summaries
    4 Feb 2000 Deadline for papers
   28 Apr 2000 Notification of acceptance
   29 May 2000 Camera-ready copies of papers
   23-25 Aug 2000 Technical program at ECAI 2000/PAIS 2000

-------------------------------
ECAI 2000 FINAL CALL FOR PAPERS
-------------------------------

    The ECAI 2000 Program Committee invites submission of papers
  for the technical program of the 14th biennial European Confe-
  rence on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI 2000). Submissions are
  invited on substantial, original and previously unpublished re-
  search in all fields of Artificial Intelligence.

  FORMATTING GUIDELINES

    It is highly recommended to submit papers using the final
  camera-ready formatting style. Submissions must not exceed five
  pages in camera-ready format. Submissions of unformatted papers
  are limited to 6000 words including footnotes, figure captions,
  tables, appendices, and bibliography. Each half-page of figures
  will be counted as 600 words. (Please note that for some papers
  five camera-ready pages may be considerably less than 6000 words
  in practice.) Overlength submissions will be rejected without re-
  view. Authors submitting unformatted papers must include a word
  count on their paper. Latex style files to support formatting of
  submissions will be available. Final versions of accepted papers
  will be required to conform strictly to the formatting require-
  ments specified in the ECAI 2000 style guide (see ECAI homepage).
  Each accepted paper will be allocated five pages in the procee-
  dings.

  SUBMISSION PROCEDURE

    Submission is a two-stage process. Authors are asked to submit
  a brief summary of their paper by 2 February 2000. The strongly
  preferred submission method is to use the web-based summary sub-
  mission form. Submitted summaries will be assigned a unique trak-
  king number that should be marked on the full paper submission.
  Authors without access to the web should send a summary including
  the title, authors, contact address and abstract for the paper
  (maximum 200 words), plus keywords drawn from the above list
  (plus other keywords if appropriate) to the ECAI 2000 Program
  Chair (by email or postal mail). The summary information and the
  tracking number should also be included with the paper itself, on
  a separate sheet of paper. (Authors not able to use the web-based
  submission form may omit the tracking number).

    Submission of the paper is in hard copy form only, fax or elec-
  tronic submissions will not be accepted. Six copies of the paper
  (each including the summary sheet) should be sent by postal mail
  or courier service to the ECAI 2000 Program Chair at the address
  below. The deadline for receipt of papers is 4 February 2000. Pa-
  pers received after this date will not be reviewed.

    Notification of receipt of full papers will be mailed to the
  corresponding author soon after receipt.

  Address for submission

    Werner Horn
    ECAI 2000 Program Chair
    Austrian Research Institute for Artificial Intelligence (ÖFAI)
    Schottengasse 3
    A-1010 Vienna
    Austria

    Email: ecai2000@ai.univie.ac.at
    Tel: +43-1-4277-63114
    Fax: +43-1-4277-9631

  Style guide and summary form

    http://www.ecai2000.hu-berlin.de/style.html
    http://www.ecai2000.hu-berlin.de/summary.html

  Multiple submissions policy

    ECAI 2000 will not accept any paper which at the time of sub-
  mission is under review for, or has already been published or
  accepted for publication in a journal or another conference.
  Authors are also expected not to submit their papers elsewhere
  during the review period. These restrictions apply only to
  journals and conferences and not to workshops or similar
  specialized meetings with limited audiences. The title page
  should include a statement that the paper is not under review or
  accepted for publication in another conference or journal.

  REVIEW PROCEDURE

    All submissions will be subject to academic peer review by the
  ECAI 2000 Program Committee under the chairmanship of the
  ECAI 2000 Program Chair. The ECAI 2000 Program Chair has final
  authority over the review process and all decisions relating to
  acceptance of papers. Review criteria include originality of
  ideas, technical soudness, significance of results, and quality
  of presentation. Notification of acceptance or rejection of sub-
  mitted papers will be mailed to the corresponding author by
  28 April 2000.

  CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS

    The conference proceedings will be published and distributed by
  IOS Press. The authors will be responsible for producing camera-
  ready copies of papers, conforming to the ECAI 2000 formatting
  guidelines, for inclusion in the proceedings. The deadline for
  receipt of the camera-ready copy is 29 May 2000. Note that at
  least one author of each accepted paper is required to attend the
  conference to present the paper.

    ECAI 2000 is organised by the German Informatics Society (GI)
  and the European Coordinating Committee for Artificial Intelli-
  gence (ECCAI) and hosted by Humboldt University Berlin.

-------------------------------
PAIS 2000 FINAL CALL FOR PAPERS
-------------------------------

    ECAI is pleased to announce its Prestigious Applications of
  Intelligent Systems (PAIS 2000) sub-conference. The PAIS 2000
  Program Committee invites authors to submit application papers.

    This event, associated with ECAI 2000 is created to specifi-
  cally highlight significant successful applications of Intelli-
  gent Systems (IS) technology. The purpose of the event is to pro-
  vide a forum for industry practitioners to learn about the power
  and applicability of selected IS techniques and share experience
  on the applicability, development and deployment of intelligent
  systems in industry. This will be the largest showcase in Europe
  of real application using Intelligent Systems technology and the
  ideal place to meet with those working to make successful
  IS-based applications.

    The Prestigious Applications of Intelligent Systems event will
  present papers describing successful applications of Intelligent
  Systems. Papers are selected to highlight critical areas of
  success (and failure) and to present the benefits and lessons of
  value to other developers. Submitted papers should make these
  points clear. Papers should contain sections covering the
  following information:

    Descriptive Title and Abstract: These should convey clearly and
  simply what the application is and its operational status. Do use
  a title that makes it clear to a reader what the application is.
  Don't use a clever, nor an obscure title.

    Problem description: This should describe the problem that the
  application solves, stating the objectives of the application and
  explaining why an Intelligent Systems solution was required. If
  other solutions were tried and failed, briefly outline these so-
  lutions with reasons for failure.

    Application description: This should describe the solution to
  the problem, with technical details on design and implementation.
  It should describe any methodological approach used, detail the
  key IS techniques used and if appropriate show how they were in-
  tegrated with conventional techniques. If commercial tools were
  used they should be identified and reasons for their selection
  given.

    Application building: This should describe the size and skill
  make-up of the project team, how long is took to build and the
  costs involved. How it was/will be installed and introduced to
  the users, with details of any training required. Describe any
  plans for maintenance, in particular how the knowledge is expec-
  ted to change over time, and any features to aid the updating of
  knowledge, etc.

    Application benefits: Were potential benefits identified before
  building the application and have these been realised or are
  likely to be realised? Has the application been in use and, if
  so, how often has it been used and by how many users? What fur-
  ther long term benefits are expected? What future plans have been
  made for its enhancement and use?

    For PAIS 2000, a paper is acceptable even if it describes a
  system which has not yet been installed, PROVIDED the application
  is original AND the paper discusses the aspects and issues that
  would help someone thinking of implementing a similar system in
  their own organisation. It must concisely describe and scope the
  problem tackled, saying why it is hard, and why IS techniques are
  needed. It should also make clear the status of the system, and
  should discuss such things as the project duration and effort,
  how the project was justified and the expected benefits estima-
  ted, any problems encountered, the performance of the final
  system and the reactions of users. The review procedure is diffe-
  rent and separate from the ECAI technical conference. Papers will
  be evaluated by experienced application developers, based on the
  above criterion. Accepted papers will be published in the ECAI
  proceedings.

[...]

  preferred submission method is to use the web-based PAIS summary
  submission form. Submitted summaries will be assigned a unique
  tracking number that should be marked on the full paper sub-
  mission. Authors without access to the web should send a summary
  including the title, authors, contact address and abstract for
  the paper (maximum 200 words), plus a set of indicative keywords
  to the ECAI 2000 Program Chair (by email or postal mail). The
  summary information and the tracking number should also be inclu-
  ded with the paper itself, on a separate sheet of paper. (Authors
  not able to use the web-based submission form may omit the trak-
  king number).

    Submission of the paper is in hard copy form only, fax or elec-
  tronic submissions will not be accepted. Six copies of the paper
  (each including the summary sheet) should be sent by postal mail
  or courier service to the ECAI 2000 Program Chair at the address
  below. The deadline for receipt of papers is 4 February 2000. Pa-
  pers received after this date will not be reviewed. Notification
  of receipt of full papers will be mailed to the corresponding
  author soon after receipt.

  Address for submission

    Werner Horn
    PAIS 2000

    Email: pais2000@ai.univie.ac.at
    Tel: +43-1-4277-63114
    Fax: +43-1-4277-9631

  Style guide and summary form

    http://www.ecai2000.hu-berlin.de/style.html
    http://www.ecai2000.hu-berlin.de/pais-summary.html

  REVIEW PROCEDURE

    All submissions will be subject to review by a team of expe-
  rienced application developers in the PAIS 2000 Program Committee
  under the chairmanship of the PAIS 2000 Program Chair, Rob Milne.
  The PAIS 2000 Program Chair has final authority over the review
  process and all decisions relating to acceptance of papers. Noti-
  fication of acceptance or rejection of submitted papers will be
  mailed to the corresponding author by 28 April 2000.

  CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS

    Accepted PAIS 2000 papers will appear in a special section of
  the ECAI conference proceedings and will be published and distri-
  buted by IOS Press. The authors will be responsible for producing
  camera-ready copies of papers, conforming to the ECAI 2000 for-
  matting guidelines, for inclusion in the proceedings. The dead-
  line for receipt of the camera-ready copy is 29 May 2000. Note
  that at least one author of each accepted paper is required to
  attend the conference to present the paper.

    PAIS 2000 is organised by the German Informatics Society (GI)
  and the European Coordinating Committee for Artificial Intelli-
  gence (ECCAI) and hosted by Humboldt University Berlin.

| ECAI 2000 PUBLICITY OFFICE                                         |
| Markus Hannebauer                       www.first.gmd.de/~hannebau |
| Dipl.-Inform., Research Fellow               hannebau@first.gmd.de |
| Research Institute for Computer Architecture                       |
|   and Software Technology (FIRST)                                  |
|                                      phone:    +49- 30-63 92 18 66 |
| German National Research Center      cell. p.: +49-177-267 43 60   |
|   for Information Technology (GMD)   fax:      +49- 30-63 92 18 05 |