Re: Reversal of Conway's Life Algorithm

Subject: Re: Reversal of Conway's Life Algorithm
From: Steve McGrew (stevem@iea.com)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 07:38:36 MET

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000 19:15:17 -0600, "Dathan"
<dathan_bennett@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I could write one that would start at a "best guess" population
>layout and modify squares on the grid that it would tag as "critical" until
>it stumbled upon the right one. However, I would probably be better off
>just starting a new science fair project at that point, because such an
>implementation would be almost useless to my purposes. Perhaps I _should_
>get a new project, but this one just intrigues me a lot. If anyone stumbles
>across any information on the subject, _please_ post it here or mail it to
>me.
>
>Dathan

        I think you can do better than to do a brute-force genetic
approach. For example, if you started at one point on a pattern, you
could determine all possible previous-generation pattern possibilities
in the nearby region, and gradually branch out. You will probably
find that there is a tree of possibilities, and that most of the
branches terminate because they lead to self-contradiction. If it
did, indeed, work out that way, you could very likely find that the
search is fairly fast.

Steve