Data mining and rules complexity. Better generalization ?

Subject: Data mining and rules complexity. Better generalization ?
From: Lorenzo Camprini (lcamprini@dada.it)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 20:13:54 MET

Hello.

I am absolutely new to the worls of "data mining",
the discovery of relations between numeric data fields.

I think the data mining method, to extract inference rules
from numeric data, would be better than neural method
for generalization purposes.

The rules extracted from the data are expressed with a group
of simply equation / disequation (plus, minus, multiplication,
division, greater than, equal to ...) and some computed constants.

But there are software using more complex formulas like "log",
"x^2", "sin" ... or other mathematical concepts ? Are these programs better
?

Someone can give me useful information / directions about
good software to test ?

Thank you.

Lorenzo