BISC: CFP/ Wang-Zadeh

From: Masoud Nikravesh (nikravesh@cs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 14:42:28 MEST

    Berkeley Initiative in Soft Computing (BISC)

             Call For Participations

             Computing With Words - Semantics

    The increasing amount of hyperlinked human knowledge available on
    the web has shifted the research focus to the search engines that
    will deliver the needed information quickly. This demand has
    triggered a revisitation of the long standing issue of semantics,
    which was never addressed adequately by information theory or
    linguistic theory.Fuzzy set and fuzzy logic,on the other hand,
    provide a powerful mathematical tool in modeling "semantics."

    The organization and the manipulation of information, knowledge
    base constructiuon and discovery, information retrieval and
    logical inferencing all have to deal with semantics in a very
    fundamental way. Unless we experience a breakthrough in under-
    standing semantics, especially related to machine automation, it
    will be difficult to make a quantum jump in accessing, creating,
    and modifying information.

    We are encouraged by the recent publications related to the
    semantics issues of the natural language processing.I.Kobayashi,
    M.Chang & M.Sugeno have worked on the meaning processing of
    dialogue. Guoqung Chen deals with semantics in fuzzy association
    rules. P.Subasic & A.Huettner have investigated the problem of
    fuzzy semantic typing.Jonathan Lawry has studied the issue of
    modeling with words. Fred Petry & Patrick Perrin handle knowledge
    discovery in texts of which semantics of the words play important
    role.Finally,Paul P.Wang & M.Xia use words as "features" in an
    information retrieval system for moives selection.

    In addition to applications,we also welcome theoretical works on
    semantics as related to machine automation and translation.The
    mathematical modeling of natural language inside the brains from
    the anatomical,electrophysiological and genomic standpoints is
    particularly welcome!It is our expectation that this edited
    volume will be a truly multiple disciplinary one.

    This proposed volume will be co-edited by Paul P.Wang & Lotfi A.
    Zadeh.All finished manuscripts should be mailed to:

    Professor Paul P.Wang
    Box 90291 ,Duke University
    Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
    Pratt School of Engineering
    Durham ,N.C. 27708-0291
    U.S.A.

    e-mail : ppw@ee.duke.edu
    fax : 919-660-5293
    voice : 919-660-5259

    Please mail six {6} hard copies for reviewing on or before
    August 1,2002. The average length of the article should be 25 pages.
    Two pages summary can be sent at anytime for planning purpose.