Looking for killer applications of XML data mining

From: Andrew Edmonds (andy@metarule.com)
Date: Fri Mar 29 2002 - 15:33:07 MET

    Hello,

    We've generated software components that can data mine data in XML. A
    moments thought will permit you to see that this is not as trivial as it
    might seem. Because Xml represents tree structures it offers a real
    challenge to datamining.

    1) Relational data is "orthogonal" i.e. representable in rows and columns
    with no gaps. XML data isn't, or needn't be to be valid XML. If you try to
    convert it to row column format it can be very sparse, and thus Neural nets
    etc will fail to find useful relationships. Special algorithms are required.

    2) There's more to mine in XML. Depending on the schema, nodes and subtrees
    may be optional, and inferences could be made from the absence or presence
    of subtrees.

    3) XML trees can encode relationships that can also be mined, for instance a
    family tree might be encoded in XML, and inferences might be made about the
    life expectancy of an individual depending on his/her parents. The
    opportunities to mine relationships are vast, and an untapped area for data
    mining.

    We represent the knowledge discovered in an XML based schema called
    Metarule, in the form of fuzzy logic expert system rules. We have software
    objects that can read this knowledge and apply it to XML documents,
    inserting predictions/classifications as required. The opportunity exists to
    create
    your own expert systems that act on XML directly, and supply a guided editor
    for this purpose.

    If you think about the above, I think you can see that this is a technology
    with a lot of potential. Our problem is finding applications that prove the
    usefulness of this technology now. We are working on a few examples but
    would like to hear from academic or commercial organisations that have a
    data set that challenges our technology and that has interesting
    applications.

    We're a commercial organization, but would be happy to waive fees and
    charges for the right application up to commercial exploitation.

    I hope you can help,

    Andrew N. Edmonds Ph.D. MBCS
    President
    Scientio, inc.