Re: Max-Min Inference and Triangular / Trapezoidal membership functions

From: Herve Postec (hpostec@club-internet.fr)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 14:38:52 MET

    Hello

    I'm rather newbye about fuzzy but I can try to give any answer.

    As far as my experiments were right I observed that :

    - max-min inference gives smoother ouputs than max-prod

    - the choice of defuzzyfication method is also very important : "momentum"
    defuzzyfication is smoother than "max" defuzzification

    - about fuzzy set structure : joker !

    My conclusion is that :

    - (max-min inference, momentum defuzzyfication) is better for expert systems
    where vagueness
    and incertitude are very important

    - (max-prod inference, max defuzzyfication) is better for process control in
    order to get fast responses to environnement evolutions

    Hope this helps you (even a little)

    --

    Hervé POSTEC hpostec@club-internet.fr "Daniel Fortin" <gaychorusboy@netzero.net> a écrit dans le message news: a8283d9b.0203151829.660b7ce9@posting.google.com... > I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the advantages and or > disadvantages of using max-min and max product inferencing are. I'm > using Fuzzy and Neural Approaches in Engineering by Tsoukalas and > Uhrig and it doesn't seem to describe any of the design tradeoffs for > selecting a fuzzy inferencing method. Also, what are the tradeoffs > between using triangular and trapezoidal membership functions? > > If anyone could answer these questions I'd really appreciate it. > > Thanks in advance!