Re: how to Start a Question Answering System

From: Mark Wasson (markw@lexisnexis.com)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 19:25:53 MET

    In article <ef2ef747.0202131535.7eca2180@posting.google.com>,
     sarken@fiberia.com (Bulane Sarken) writes:
    |>Hi,
    |>
    |>I am thinking of write a small Qusestion Answering system for my
    |>master degree requirement. I took NLP and IR courses before. Is this
    |>task still too hard? I hope some people here will give me some
    |>pointers and paper list to start with. Any suggestion will be also
    |>appreciated.

    You might want to also look into some of the commercialized
    work in this area. AskJeeves is often the one that comes to
    mind. Others you might find worth looking into include
    answerFriend, EasyAsk, InQuizit, iPhrase and Primus (which
    bought AnswerLogic). (DISCLOSURE: Our parent company
    made a venture investment in iPhrase last year.) It is
    interesting to compare and contrast these companies, their
    approaches and targeted markets with each other as well as
    with the direction of the TREC QA community. It should
    also provide you with a much broader view of the QA space
    than focusing on TREC alone.

    Mark

    --
    Mark Wasson - Senior Architect, Research Scientist
    LexisNexis Alliances & New Technologies