Re: Touchy/feely

From: Arjen Markus (Arjen.Markus@wldelft.nl)
Date: Wed Feb 20 2002 - 12:50:01 MET

    Cameron Laird wrote:

    > In article <3C723C14.7B9AC696@wldelft.nl>,
    > Arjen Markus <Arjen.Markus@wldelft.nl> wrote:
    > .
    > >A way forward here might be a good Tcl package for dealing
    > >with fuzzy logic - that is one of the hot items among my
    > >biologically minded colleagues. Another thing would probably
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > Along with your own fuzzy introductions to tcltest, I suspect fuz-
    > ziness has been implemented for Tcl several times, although I know
    > of no one maintaining such work. If I wanted to pursue this seri-
    > ously, I'd check in to <URL: http://public.srce.hr/~ddelija/ >.

    My fuzzy arithmetic module has nothing to do with the concept of
    fuzzy logic and fuzzy control: the idea (borrowed from Fortran and
    other arithmetically inclined languages) is that comparisons should
    be not as clear-cut as the current default (hence the name "fuzzy").

    > Incidentally, Arjen, does your characterization of biologists'
    > interest deliberately differentiate fuzzy logic from fuzzy
    > arithmetic?

    As a corollary to the above: yes, biologists, in my experience, are
    interested in reasoning techniques like fuzzy logic (which has nothing
    to do with the impreciseness of floating-point numbers, on the contrary
    it tries to be very precise), because they can then formulate somewhat
    vague ideas about how the environment influences the species they are
    interested in or vice versa.

    They are not interested (like most people and wise they are!) in the
    impreciseness of floating-point arithmetic and the pain and agony this
    causes among the engineers who do (like me :-).

    (If you are interested: I can outline an example of how fuzzy logic
    is used here to solve or understand ecological problems!)

    Regards,

    Arjen