Selection Methodologies

From: Brett Weintz (weintz@btinternet.com)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 21:59:20 MET

    Can anybody help me to understand the difference between design
    selection methodologies that are based on fuzzy logic and simple
    weighted score systems.

    My understanding is that in a simple weighted score system the value
    of the attribute for each criteria is compared to the range of values
    for that attribute with a linear scale being used to determine the
    score. Each score is then weighted (as depending on the relative
    importance of each criteria) and summed to derive an overall score for
    each design option. The overall scores then determine the ranking of
    the design options.

    In a fuzzy selection system various linear or non-linear relationships
    are used to determine the raw scores from the attributes. The
    calculation of the overall ranking is then much the same as for the
    simple weighted score system. Thus, it is the calculation of the
    scores that provides the fuzzy element, or degree of set membership,
    in the methodology.

    Am I correct in this thinking, or is there a degree of sophistication
    that I have not realised.