BISC: NEW Research Area and Direction at BISC Program/ Season Greeting

From: masoud nikravesh (nikraves@eecs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 29 2001 - 14:55:46 MET

    Berkeley Initiative in Soft Computing (BISC)

    Season Greeting, Happy Holiday and Best Wishes for the New Year, 2002.
    BISC Program
    http://www-bisc.cs.berkeley.edu/
    ==========

    "My attention has been focused on the development of computing with
    words, precisiated natural language and the computational theory of
    perceptions. Although I am not an objective prognostician, I believe
    that computing with words and related methodologies will be viewed in
    retrospect as a significant paradigm shift in the evolution of
    science." L. A. Zadeh

    During the past year, BISC has defined its first five-year strategic
    program. As Lotfi mentioned the Centerfold and the Core of our Strategic
    program is "computing with words-precisiated natural language-the
    computational theory of perceptions."

    Given this core technology, BISC defined four main-stream programs and
    application areas and currently accepting Sponsors. The projects will
    commence in Jan 2002 and extend over 5 years. Quarterly project
    meetings will allow rapid transfer of results to sponsors, and will
    encourage sponsor feedback that will in turn direct the research effort.
    To insure better communication, get feedback, and provide publicity to
    the project, BISC Program will also set up a URL and design an
    interactive web site. The project manager/PI will routinely publish
    progress reports, papers presented in national and international
    meetings and workshops, and interesting results on the assigned web
    site. The web site will also be used as a continuous technology
    transfer tool.

    To receive more information, please contact Dr. Masoud Nikravesh
    (nikravesh@cs.berkeley.edu) or Prof. Lotfi Zadeh (zadeh@cs.berkeley.edu)
    or visit our web site at: http://www-bisc.cs.berkeley.edu/. Current
    Members of BISC Program as well as its associate members can join the
    following programs and have access to the BISC internal reports.

    1. BISC-CW/CTP/PNL
    Computing with Words (CW)
    Computational Theory of Perceptions (CTP)
    Precisiated Natural Language (PNL)
    Perception-Based Decision Analysis (PDA)

    2. BISC-DSS:
    The BISC Decision Support System

    3. BISC-FLINT:
    Fuzzy Logic and the Internet
    Perception Based Information Processing and Analysis
    Automated Ontology & Personalization

    4. BISC-SCRF:
    Optimized Asset Management Decision Making
    Stanford-Berkeley

    In this direction, BISC expanded its visiting program with the following
    objective:

    " The objective of the program is to encourage close cooperation between
    the industrial, government, and academic communities and the BISC
    program. This collaboration includes a faster transfer and exchange of
    our research results, implementation of focused research on problems of
    interest to members, increased members' access to publications,
    students, and faculty, and involvement in research and education through
    grants to support our activities at BISC program."

    In addition, BISC program started its Internal annual reports which can
    be used as a mean to transfer the BISC strategic program results to our
    community. While, the Internal reports are initially distributed between
    the BISC Sponsors, eventually, the reports will be published as BISC
    Internal Public report to be used by our communities.

    To receive more information, please contact Dr. Masoud Nikravesh
    (nikravesh@cs.berkeley.edu) or Prof. Lotfi Zadeh (zadeh@cs.berkeley.edu)
    or visit our web site at: http://www-bisc.cs.berkeley.edu/. Current
    Members of BISC Program as well as its associate members can join the
    following programs and have access to the BISC internal reports.

    Best Wishes for the New Year

    Masoud Nikravesh

    --
    Dr. Masoud Nikravesh
    BISC Associate Director and Program Administrator

    BTExact Technologies (British Telecom-BT) Senior Research Fellow Chairs: BISC-SIG-FLINT,ES, RT Berkeley Initiative in Soft Computing (BISC) Computer Science Division- Department of EECS University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 Phone: (510) 643-4522; Fax: (510) 642-5775 Email: Nikravesh@cs.berkeley.edu URL: http://www-bisc.cs.berkeley.edu/

    Staff Scientist Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, Imaging and Collaborative Computing Group Email: Masoud@media.lbl URL: http://vision.lbl.gov/

    -------------------------------------------------------------------- If you ever want to remove yourself from this mailing list, you can send mail to <Majordomo@EECS.Berkeley.EDU> with the following command in the body of your email message: unsubscribe bisc-group or from another account, unsubscribe bisc-group <your_email_adress>