Re: Is fuzzy logic a kind of AI?

From: Zhaohao Sun (zsun@bond.edu.au)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 11:26:01 MET

    Fuzzy logic is a successor of multivalue logic from the historical viewpoint.
    Now it is a computational logic from the computational viewpoint, In
    essence, it is a similarity-based logic. that is, fuzzy reasoning is a
    kind of similarity-based reasoning.

    Fuzzy logic has been trying to study some problems in AI. FL and AI
    sometimes share some common goals, for example, they believe knowledge is
    uncertain, incomplete, and fuzzy. Knowledge should be treated with a new
    technique.

    > > > Fuzzy logic is a kind of AI?
    > >
    > > No, it's just a logic model closer the the real-world human-like type of
    > > thinking. Computers compute based on binary logic, humans exploit the
    >whole
    > > range between the two extreme logic values.
    > >
    >What is "AI" then in your opinion? Where is boundary between "a logic model
    >closer the the real-world human-like type of thinking" and AI?
    >Some say fuzzy logic belongs to AI, some say the opposite. Actually, I do
    >not
    >care much about such terminological questions. It's the capability of fuzzy
    >systems
    >to solve real-world problems efficiently that matters - not whether they
    >belong
    >to AI or not.

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

    Mr Zhaohao Sun