Re: Stupid question

From: Fractal A. (fractala@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 12:33:41 MET

    I don't think that this is a stupid question. I hope that this response helps.

    Just to make sure that we are onthe same page, what is the meaning of the term
    'programme' and the phrase 'computer programme'? I'm guessing that programme
    means program.

    Perhaps you are referring to the material provided that is provided in US
    university courses commonly termed as "Data Structures". I agree that there is
    some sort of a paradox or puzzle at the intersection of computer program,
    algorithm, and mathematics.

    To define my terms, 'computer program' refers to the actual coded software
    which when executed instructs the computer. 'Algorithm' loosely refers to some
    sort of recipe. 'Mathematics' refers to the use of some system of numbers to
    accomplish some goal or equivalently refers to the courses arithmetic through
    calculus.

    I've seen mathematics used to formulate time and space measures for computer
    programs. I've seen computer programs used to solve mathematical problems.
    Computer programs generally use an algorithm to increase their efficiency in
    solving problems. Mathematics measures the efficiency of algorithms. All
    three entities work together to improve each another.

    =====
    Fractal A. fractala@yahoo.com