CFP for KES2002 Special Session : "Causality in Knowledge-Based

From: Colette Faucher (colette.faucher@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 17:26:06 MET

    > CE MESSAGE EST AU FORMAT MIME. Comme votre lecteur de courrier ne comprend pas
    ce format, il se peut que tout ou partie de ce message soit illisible.

    --MS_Mac_OE_3088139150_70057_MIME_Part

    6th International Conference on
    Knowledge-Based Intelligent Information Engineering Systems & Allied
    Technologies
    16, 17 & 18 September 2002, Podere d'Ombriano, Crema, Italy

    Special Session
    Causality in Knowledge-Based Systems

    Topic :
    This session aims at studying the role that the notion of causality plays i=
    knowledge-based systems. At least, three problems occur concerning causalit=
    in that context : the discovery of causal knowledge, its representation and
    its use.
    First, generally, causal information emerges from statistical data, by
    looking at data that occur simultaneously, but it is clear that the
    cooccurrence of data does not always mean that the data are causally linked=
    >.
    So, what methods could be used to discover actual causal relations ?
    Secondly, rules are often used to model causal relations, but, in the
    context of knowledge-based systems using a particular formalism such
    frame-based representation, for example, aren't there more elegant and
    efficient means of modeling causal information ?
    Finally, how can causal information be used for reasoning in the framework
    of knowledge-based systems ? In particular, some recent studies carried out
    in cognitive psychology have shown that the properties describing certain
    kinds of concepts are causally linked and that those causal links have a
    major influence on the process of classifying a new entity into such a
    concept.
    Thus, obviously, the notion of causality may occur when a user has to build=
    ,
    to represent and to exploit a knowledge-based system.

    Contributions to that session are expected to deal with the following
    sub-topics :
    o Causal knowledge discovery;
    o Causal information representation;
    o Causal information exploitation in the different forms of reasoning that
    are used in the framework of knowledge-based systems.

    Both theoretical papers and papers describing practical experiences will be
    welcome.

    Instructions for Authors :

    Only electronic copies of the papers in Microsoft Word, PDF or Postscript
    forms are acceptable for review purposes and must me sent to the session
    chair. However, please note that you will be required to send hard copy of
    the final version of your paper, if it is accepted; electronic submission o=
    final papers is not allowed.

    Papers must correspond to the requirements detailed in IOS Instructions for
    the Preparation of a Camera-Ready Manuscript. The maximum length of papers
    is five pages, prepared according to the IOS instructions. Longer papers
    will be subject to an Additional Page charge.

    All papers must be presented by one of the authors, who must pay fees.

    Publication :
    The session papers will be published in the Conference Proceedings (IOS
    Press, Amsterdam, the Netherlands).

    Extended versions of selected papers will be considered for publication in
    the KES Journal (International Journal of Knowledge-Based Intelligent
    Engineering Systems).

    Important Dates :
    Deadline for submission intention : December 15, 2001
    Deadline for submission (Receipt of papers) : February 10, 2002
    Notification of acceptance : April 10, 2002
    Camera-ready papers by : May 10, 2002

    Session Chair :
    Dr. Colette Faucher
    Associate Professor of Computer Science
    Universit=E9 d'Aix-Marseille III
    Facult=E9 des Sciences de Saint-J=E9r=F4me
    DIAM-IUSPIM
    Avenue Escadrille Normandie-Niemen
    13397 Marseille Cedex 20
    FRANCE
    Phone : (+33) 4 91 05 60 58
    Fax : (+33) 4 91 05 60 33
    E-mail : colette.faucher@iuspim.u-3mrs.fr or colette.faucher@wanadoo.fr
    Website of the session :
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/colette.faucher/kes2002-causality.html

    --MS_Mac_OE_3088139150_70057_MIME_Part

    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <TITLE>CFP for KES2002 Special Session : &quot;Causality in Knowledge-Based=
     Systems&quot;</TITLE>
    </HEAD>
    <BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#FFFFFF">
    <P ALIGN=3DCENTER>
    <FONT SIZE=3D"5"><FONT FACE=3D"Bookman Old Style"><B>6th International Conferen=
    ce on<BR>
    Knowledge-Based Intelligent Information Engineering Systems &amp; Allied Te=
    chnologies<BR>
    </B></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Bookman Old Style"><FONT SIZE=3D"4">16, 17 &amp=
    ; 18 September 2002, Podere d'Ombriano, Crema, Italy<BR>
    <BR>
    <BR>
    <B>Special Session<BR>
    </B></FONT><B><FONT SIZE=3D"5">Causality in Knowledge-Based Systems<BR>
    </FONT></B></FONT>
    <P>
    <FONT FACE=3D"Bookman Old Style"><H2><BR>
    </H2>&nbsp;<BR>
    <BR>
    <FONT SIZE=3D"4"><B>Topic : <BR>
    </B></FONT>This session aims at studying the role that the notion of causal=
    ity plays in knowledge-based systems. At least, three problems occur concern=
    ing causality in that context : the discovery of causal knowledge, its repre=
    sentation and its use. <BR>
    First, generally, causal information emerges from statistical data, by look=
    ing at data that occur simultaneously, but it is clear that the cooccurrence=
     of data does not always mean that the data are causally linked. So, what me=
    thods could be used to discover actual causal relations ? <BR>
    Secondly, rules are often used to model causal relations, but, in the conte=
    xt of knowledge-based systems using a particular formalism such frame-based =
    representation, for example, aren't there more elegant and efficient means o=
    f modeling causal information ? <BR>
    Finally, how can causal information be used for reasoning in the framework =
    of knowledge-based systems ? In particular, some recent studies carried out =
    in cognitive psychology have shown that the properties describing certain ki=
    nds of concepts are causally linked and that those causal links have a major=
     influence on the process of classifying a new entity into such a concept.<B=

    Thus, obviously, the notion of causality may occur when a user has to build=
    , to represent and to exploit a knowledge-based system.<BR>
    <BR>
    Contributions to that session are expected to deal with the following sub-t=
    opics :<BR>
    o Causal knowledge discovery;<BR>
    o Causal information representation;<BR>
    o Causal information exploitation in the different forms of reasoning that =
    are used in the framework of knowledge-based systems.<BR>
    <BR>
    Both theoretical papers and papers describing practical experiences will be=
     welcome.<BR>
    &nbsp;<BR>
    <BR>
    <FONT SIZE=3D"4"><B>Instructions for Authors :<BR>
    </B></FONT><H3><BR>
    </H3>Only electronic copies of the papers in Microsoft Word, PDF or Postscr=
    ipt forms are acceptable for review purposes and must me sent to the session=
     chair. &nbsp;However, please note that you will be required to send hard co=
    py of the final version of your paper, if it is accepted; electronic submiss=
    ion of final papers is not allowed.<BR>
    &nbsp;<BR>
    Papers must correspond to the requirements detailed in IOS Instructions for=
     the Preparation of a Camera-Ready Manuscript. The maximum length of papers =
    is five pages, prepared according to the IOS instructions. &nbsp;Longer pape=
    rs will be subject to an Additional Page charge.<BR>
    <BR>
    All papers must be presented by one of the authors, who must pay fees. <BR>
    &nbsp;<BR>
    <BR>
    <H3>Publication :<BR>
    </H3>The session papers will be published in the Conference Proceedings (IO=
    S Press, &nbsp;Amsterdam, the Netherlands). <BR>
    <BR>
    Extended versions of selected papers will be considered for publication in =
    the KES Journal (International Journal of Knowledge-Based Intelligent Engine=
    ering Systems). <BR>
    <BR>
    <BR>
    <H3>Important Dates :<BR>
    </H3>Deadline for submission intention :<B> December 15, 2001<BR>
    </B>Deadline for submission (Receipt of papers) :<B> February 10, 2002<BR>
    </B>Notification of acceptance :<B> April 10, 2002<BR>
    </B>Camera-ready papers by :<B> May 10, 2002 <BR>
    <BR>
    </B>&nbsp;<BR>
    <H3>Session Chair :<BR>
    </H3>Dr. Colette Faucher<BR>
    Associate Professor of Computer Science<BR>
    Universit=E9 d'Aix-Marseille III<BR>
    Facult=E9 des Sciences de Saint-J=E9r=F4me<BR>
    DIAM-IUSPIM<BR>
    Avenue Escadrille Normandie-Niemen<BR>
    13397 Marseille Cedex 20<BR>
    FRANCE<BR>
    Phone : (+33) 4 91 05 60 58<BR>
    Fax : (+33) 4 91 05 60 33<BR>
    E-mail : </FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000"><FONT FACE=3D"Times"><U>colette.faucher=
    @iuspim.u-3mrs.fr</U></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Bookman Old Style"> or </FONT=
    ><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000"><FONT FACE=3D"Times"><U>colette.faucher@wanadoo.fr<BR>
    </U></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Bookman Old Style">Website of the session : <=
    /FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000"><FONT FACE=3D"Times"><U>http://perso.wanadoo.fr/co=
    lette.faucher/kes2002-causality.html<BR>
    <BR>
    </U></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Bookman Old Style">&nbsp;<BR>
    <BR>
    </FONT><BR>
    </BODY>
    </HTML>

    --MS_Mac_OE_3088139150_70057_MIME_Part--