CFP for KES2002 Special Session "Classification in Knowledge-Based

From: Colette Faucher (colette.faucher@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 15:23:18 MET

    > CE MESSAGE EST AU FORMAT MIME. Comme votre lecteur de courrier ne comprend pas
    ce format, il se peut que tout ou partie de ce message soit illisible.

    --MS_Mac_OE_3088331686_181206_MIME_Part

    6th International Conference on
    Knowledge-Based Intelligent Information Engineering Systems & Allied
    Technologies
    16, 17 & 18 September 2002, Podere d'Ombriano, Crema, Italy

    Special Session
    Classification in Knowledge-Based Systems

    Topic :
    This session aims at studying methods of classification in the framework of
    knowledge-based systems.
    Traditionally, classes involved typically have a hierarchical organization
    where the subclasses have discriminating features from the superclasses.
    Classification is then a top-down process during which the system tries to
    match data to classify with classes at each level of the hierarchy until th=
    matching is not satisfying any more.
    Another way of viewing classification is Clancey's one who has defined
    heuristic classification as a problem solving method which consists in
    establishing a relation between data that are associated with a specific
    problem and solutions already defined and present in a knowledge base.
    Heuristic classification is composed of three steps :
    - a data abstraction step, which transforms the data that describe the
    problem into data abstractions, by possibly using rules,
    - a heuristic matching step during which the previous data are associated
    with a generic hypothesis,
    - a step which allows to specialize the solution hypothesis and where the
    data concerning the problem are used to refine this hypothesis.

    Some "classical" classification systems adopt an hybrid approach by using
    heuristic components.

    Contributions to this session are expected to deal with those two views of
    the classification process :
    - for the classical approach to classification, sub-topics of interest woul=
    be : new methods of matching using prior knowledge, new strategies for
    exploring hierarchies in order to classify data, particular types of
    knowledge representation which allow to refine the matching step, etc=8A
    - for the heuristic approach to classification, sub-topics of interest woul=
    be : new methods for generalizing specific data, definition of innovating
    heuristic matching methods, improvement of the refining step, etc=8A

    The previous list is not exhaustive, provided that the contributions are
    relevant to the topic description.

    Both theoretical papers and papers describing practical experiences will be
    welcome.

    Instructions for Authors :

    Only electronic copies of the papers in Microsoft Word, PDF or Postscript
    forms are acceptable for review purposes and must me sent to the session
    chair. However, please note that you will be required to send hard copy of
    the final version of your paper, if it is accepted; electronic submission o=
    final papers is not allowed.

    Papers must correspond to the requirements detailed in IOS Instructions for
    the Preparation of a Camera-Ready Manuscript. The maximum length of papers
    is five pages, prepared according to the IOS instructions. Longer papers
    will be subject to an Additional Page charge.

    All papers must be presented by one of the authors, who must pay fees.

    Publication :
    The session papers will be published in the Conference Proceedings (IOS
    Press, Amsterdam, the Netherlands).

    Extended versions of selected papers will be considered for publication in
    the KES Journal (International Journal of Knowledge-Based Intelligent
    Engineering Systems).

    Important Dates :
    Deadline for submission intention : December 15, 2001
    Deadline for submission (Receipt of papers) : February 10, 2002
    Notification of acceptance : April 10, 2002
    Camera-ready papers by : May 10, 2002

    Session Chair :
    Dr. Colette Faucher
    Associate Professor of Computer Science
    Universit=E9 d'Aix-Marseille III
    Facult=E9 des Sciences de Saint-J=E9r=F4me
    DIAM-IUSPIM
    Avenue Escadrille Normandie-Niemen
    13397 Marseille Cedex 20
    FRANCE
    Phone : (+33) 4 91 05 60 58
    Fax : (+33) 4 91 05 60 33
    E-mail : colette.faucher@iuspim.u-3mrs.fr or colette.faucher@wanadoo.fr
    Website of the session :
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/colette.faucher/kes2002-classification.html

    --MS_Mac_OE_3088331686_181206_MIME_Part

    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <TITLE>CFP for KES2002 Special Session &quot;Classification in Knowledge-Ba=
    sed Systems&quot;</TITLE>
    </HEAD>
    <BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#FFFFFF">
    <P ALIGN=3DCENTER>
    <FONT SIZE=3D"5"><FONT FACE=3D"Bookman Old Style"><B>6th International Conferen=
    ce on<BR>
    Knowledge-Based Intelligent Information Engineering Systems &amp; Allied Te=
    chnologies<BR>
    </B></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Bookman Old Style"><FONT SIZE=3D"4">16, 17 &amp=
    ; 18 September 2002, Podere d'Ombriano, Crema, Italy<BR>
    <BR>
    <BR>
    <B>Special Session<BR>
    </B></FONT><B><FONT SIZE=3D"5">Classification in Knowledge-Based Systems<BR>
    </FONT></B></FONT>
    <P>
    <FONT FACE=3D"Bookman Old Style"><H2><BR>
    </H2>&nbsp;<BR>
    <BR>
    <FONT SIZE=3D"4"><B>Topic : <BR>
    </B></FONT>This session aims at studying methods of classification in the f=
    ramework of knowledge-based systems. <BR>
    Traditionally, classes involved typically have a hierarchical organization =
    where the subclasses have discriminating features from the superclasses. Cla=
    ssification is then a top-down process during which the system tries to matc=
    h data to classify with classes at each level of the hierarchy until the mat=
    ching is not satisfying any more.<BR>
    Another way of viewing classification is Clancey's one who has defined heur=
    istic classification as a problem solving method which consists in establish=
    ing a relation between data that are associated with a specific problem and =
    solutions already defined and present in a knowledge base. Heuristic classif=
    ication is composed of three steps :<BR>
    </FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">-</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"> </FONT><FON=
    T FACE=3D"Bookman Old Style">a data abstraction step, which transforms the dat=
    a that describe the problem into data abstractions, by possibly using rules,=
    <BR>
    </FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">-</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"> </FONT><FON=
    T FACE=3D"Bookman Old Style">a heuristic matching step during which the previo=
    us data are associated with a generic hypothesis,<BR>
    </FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">-</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"> </FONT><FON=
    T FACE=3D"Bookman Old Style">a step which allows to specialize the solution hy=
    pothesis and where the data concerning the problem are used to refine this h=
    ypothesis.<BR>
    <BR>
    Some &quot;classical&quot; classification systems adopt an hybrid approach =
    by using heuristic components.<BR>
    <BR>
    Contributions to this session are expected to deal with those two views of =
    the classification process :<BR>
    </FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">-</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"> </FONT><FON=
    T FACE=3D"Bookman Old Style">for the classical approach to classification, sub=
    -topics of interest would be : new methods of matching using prior knowledge=
    , new strategies for exploring hierarchies in order to classify data, partic=
    ular types of knowledge representation which allow to refine the matching st=
    ep, etc=8A<BR>
    </FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">-</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"> </FONT><FON=
    T FACE=3D"Bookman Old Style">for the heuristic approach to classification, sub=
    -topics of interest would be : new methods for generalizing specific data, d=
    efinition of innovating heuristic matching methods, improvement of the refin=
    ing step, etc=8A<BR>
    <BR>
    The previous list is not exhaustive, provided that the contributions are re=
    levant to the topic description.<BR>
    <BR>
    Both theoretical papers and papers describing practical experiences will be=
     welcome.<BR>
    <BR>
    <BR>
    <FONT SIZE=3D"4"><B>Instructions for Authors :<BR>
    </B></FONT><H3><BR>
    </H3>Only electronic copies of the papers in Microsoft Word, PDF or Postscr=
    ipt forms are acceptable for review purposes and must me sent to the session=
     chair. &nbsp;However, please note that you will be required to send hard co=
    py of the final version of your paper, if it is accepted; electronic submiss=
    ion of final papers is not allowed.<BR>
    &nbsp;<BR>
    Papers must correspond to the requirements detailed in IOS Instructions for=
     the Preparation of a Camera-Ready Manuscript. The maximum length of papers =
    is five pages, prepared according to the IOS instructions. &nbsp;Longer pape=
    rs will be subject to an Additional Page charge.<BR>
    <BR>
    All papers must be presented by one of the authors, who must pay fees. <BR>
    &nbsp;<BR>
    <BR>
    <H3>Publication :<BR>
    </H3>The session papers will be published in the Conference Proceedings (IO=
    S Press, &nbsp;Amsterdam, the Netherlands). <BR>
    <BR>
    Extended versions of selected papers will be considered for publication in =
    the KES Journal (International Journal of Knowledge-Based Intelligent Engine=
    ering Systems). <BR>
    <BR>
    <BR>
    <H3>Important Dates :<BR>
    </H3>Deadline for submission intention :<B> December 15, 2001<BR>
    </B>Deadline for submission (Receipt of papers) :<B> February 10, 2002<BR>
    </B>Notification of acceptance :<B> April 10, 2002<BR>
    </B>Camera-ready papers by :<B> May 10, 2002 <BR>
    <BR>
    </B>&nbsp;<BR>
    <H3>Session Chair :<BR>
    </H3>Dr. Colette Faucher<BR>
    Associate Professor of Computer Science<BR>
    Universit=E9 d'Aix-Marseille III<BR>
    Facult=E9 des Sciences de Saint-J=E9r=F4me<BR>
    DIAM-IUSPIM<BR>
    Avenue Escadrille Normandie-Niemen<BR>
    13397 Marseille Cedex 20<BR>
    FRANCE<BR>
    Phone : (+33) 4 91 05 60 58<BR>
    Fax : (+33) 4 91 05 60 33<BR>
    E-mail : </FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000"><FONT FACE=3D"Times"><U>colette.faucher=
    @iuspim.u-3mrs.fr</U></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Bookman Old Style"> or </FONT=
    ><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000"><FONT FACE=3D"Times"><U>colette.faucher@wanadoo.fr<BR>
    </U></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Bookman Old Style">Website of the session : <=
    /FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000"><FONT FACE=3D"Times"><U>http://perso.wanadoo.fr/co=
    lette.faucher/kes2002-classification.html<BR>
    <BR>
    </U></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Bookman Old Style">&nbsp;<BR>
    <BR>
    </FONT>
    </BODY>
    </HTML>

    --MS_Mac_OE_3088331686_181206_MIME_Part--