Re: PID Control and fuzzy logic

From: P. Sarma (psarma@seas.upenn.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 07:27:41 MET

    It's not as simple as that. A careful, focused look at FLC's show that in
    fact it is very closely related to PID's. This is not apparent from the
    direct construction, which as we all know is quite intricate, with (i)
    fuzzification, (ii) fuzzy partitions, (iii) fuzzy manipulations in the FRB,
    and (iv) defuzzification. This is partly the classical effect of "missing
    the forest for the trees".

    A sequence of papers that spans from works such as Tong and Mullholland
    (1987), and onwards, clearly show that the general FLC, which is the Mamdani
    or M-FLC, is *precisely* a Nonlinear PID controller - in fact it is a
    Gain-Scheduled PID, where the schedulors are the inputs to the FLC. For more
    details on this, have a look at a series of papers by Gosine et al
    (~1999-2000) in IEEE SMCB.

    Pramit