Re: Consistency of fuzzy rules

From: Yaochu Jin (ftrjin@mail.ipm.net)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 19:05:47 MET DST

    ><<In fact, the second rule is obviously inconsistent to human intuition: If
    >speed is high and distance is short, then one should brake sharply to stop,
    >which is itself a fuzzy rule. (How inconsistent they are depends on the
    >definition of the membership functions.) >>
    >
    >We make progress! Now inconsistency is no longer binary (Yes/No), but there
    >are grades of inconsistency!

    Just two quotations:

    (1) "It is noticed that the concept of consistency is not concrete (crisp) and
    can only be described by a value of degree. Moreover, the discussion of
    consistency is sensible only if the premise parts of the rules are very
    similar."

    (2) "It can be seen that our definition of consistency is a soft criterion,
    which is in good agreement with the philosophy of fuzzy set theory."

    Abstracted from

    Y. Jin et al, On generating flexible, complete, consistent and compact fuzzy
    rule systems from data using evolution strategies. IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man,
    and Cybernetics. 29(6), 1999.

    >So if we qualify the original writer's term "inconsistent rules" to "possibly
    >inconsistent rules" I might go along with his ideas, provided that warnings
    >instead of error messages were issued, and that I have the option to turn off
    >one or more of his criteria during the checking process. Under these
    >circumstances, I think ftrjin@mail.ipm.net has made a definite contribution.

    Since I became a "fuzzy" practitioner, I have given up thinking "binarily" ...

    Sincerely
    Yaochu Jin