Re: Fuzzy Login and Traffic Light

From: Fractal A. (fractala@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 23:49:43 MET DST

    Hi,

    This is a diagram of an intersection with arrows in 4 lanes to show the
    direction that the traffic flows in the lanes. There is a conventional
    numbering from 1 to 8 for this that I do not recall, so I used letters to label
    the lanes. I hope that you can read the diagram and that the mailer doesn't
    skew it.

                | | |
                | | |
                | |/|\|
                | | |
                | A | B |
    ------------ ------------
           <---H C
    - - - - - - - - - - - -
               G D--->
    ------------ ------------
                | F | E |
                | | |
                |\|/| |
                | | |
                | | |

    So, if AB FE have low speed & low density, you want the light to stay green?
    What if CD GH have high density & high speed and AB FE have low density & low
    speed? Would you still want AB FE to stay green?

    You use a basic membership diagram--fit your curve of motion to it. Assign
    values according to what you want to happen at different speeds and densities.
    You may want to try a trapezoidal or triangular function. The triangular one
    is easier than the trapezoidal one. When you are at the top of the triangle,
    the light is always green is one way to do it. The other way might be to flip
    the values so that 1 is at the base of the triangle and 0 is at the tip of the
    triangle. Sorry if this makes no sense. I hope that it helps you some. There
    are a bunch of sources out there about membership diagrams and defuzzification
    and such. I usually read them before I try and do anything with it. A simple
    google search for fuzzy & defuzzification & fuzzy membership & things like that
    will get you headed in the right direction.

    Peace & Good Wishes on your Project!

    Fractal A.

    =====
    Fractal A. fractala@yahoo.com