Medical applications

From: Doc Bubba (docbw@home.com)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 20:13:41 MET DST

    Sorry for the naive question, but I am just starting out trying to learn
    more about fuzziness and neural networks. I am a physician, and I am
    interested in developing decision support software for medical
    practitioners. My goal is to allow the provider to merge available
    information on best medical practice with information about his or her
    individual patient and develop a set of potential diagnoses and treatment
    plans that represent the optimal care based on available information.

    A pretty lofty (and perhaps unattainable) goal as I write it. Based on what
    little I know on the subject of fuzzy logic, it seems that it could be
    useful in sorting through the multiple grey areas of medical information.

    Can anyone recommend a readily available introductory text on the subjects
    of fuzzy logic and neural networks? (Less than 1,000 pages, please. i work
    50-60 hrs./week and go to school as it is.) Also, any info or contacts for
    people developing similar systems?

    Thanks