Call for Participation: 7th Fuzzy Days, Dortmund, Germany, Oct 1-3, 2001

From: Stephan Lehmke (Stephan.Lehmke@CS.UNI-DORTMUND.DE)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 12:06:45 MET DST

                      7. FUZZY DAYS in Dortmund, Germany

            International Conference on Computational Intelligence
                              October 1-3, 2001

                     http://ls1-www.cs.uni-dortmund.de/fd7/

    Welcome
    -------
    Ten years of „Fuzzy Days“ in Dortmund!

    What was started as a relatively small workshop in 1991 has now become
    one of the best known smaller conferences on Computational Intelligence
    around the world. In fact it was (to my best knowledge) the first conference
    using this term in 1994, although I confess that another, larger conference
    was announced first and the trade mark “Computational Intelligence” was
    not coined in Dortmund.

    I believe, that this conferences success is grounded on the quality of its
    reviewed and invited papers as well as its good organisation. From the
    beginning we have sent every paper anonymously to five referees and we have
    always accepted only around 50% of the papers sent in. This year it is even
    a little less than that.

    I want to thank everybody who has helped us by considering Dortmund’s
    Fuzzy Days as the conference to appear. I know that among the not accepted
    abstracts there are pretty good ones, but we where restricted to a fixed number.
    I also know that referees do a good job but cannot always judge wisely from
    abstracts. Hence my apologies to those who could not make it this year.
    Please come again!

    I want to point out that our conference also has a good regional reputation.
    I want to thank the City of Dortmund, it’s Lord Major Dr. Langemeyer,
    the dortmund project, the DFG – Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, the KVR –
    Kommunalverband Ruhrgebiet, the Martin-Schmeißer-Stiftung and the
    Comline AG/Quantum GmbH for their valuable support.

    Bernd Reusch

    Organising Institution
    ----------------------
    University of Dortmund, Computer Science I

    General Chairman
    ----------------
    B. Reusch

    Honorary Chairmen
    -----------------
    L. A. Zadeh

    Programme Chairmen
    ------------------
    B. Reusch
    R. Rojas
    H.-P. Schwefel

    Organising Committee
    --------------------
    U. Lippe (University of Dortmund)
    W. Hunscher (University of Dortmund)

    Conference Secretariat
    ----------------------
    Ms U. Lippe

    Conference Schedule
    -------------------

    Monday, October 1

    8.00 - 9.20
    Registration and Morning Coffee

    9.20 - 10.00
    Inaugural addresses

    10.00 - 11.00
    Invited Lecture 1
    Interactive Evolutionary Computation as Humanized Computational Intelligence Technology
    Takagi, Hideyuki

    Session A1: FUZZY LOGIC SYSTEMS I
    Session Chair: Hata, Y.

    11.00 -11.30
    Microcontrollerbased Fuzzy System to Optimize the Anaerobic Digestion in Biogas Reactors
    Patzwahl, Steffen; Nacke, Thomas; Frense, Dieter; Kramer, Klaus-Dietrich; Tautz, Tobias

    11.30 - 12.00
    The Decision of Service Centres Location Problem in Fuzzy Conditions
    Dziouba, Tatiana A.; Rozenberg, Igor N.

    Session B1: NEURAL NETWORKS IN MEDICAL APPLICATIONS
    Session Chair: Reuter, M.

    11.00 - 11.30
    Application of the Biologically Inspired Network for Electroencephalogram Analysis
    Tamosiunaite, Minija

    11.30 - 12.00
    Discrimination Between Two Mental States (Rest and Motor Image) Using Wavelet Transform
    and Neural Networks
    Martin, José Luis; Boquete, Luciano; Diaz, Carmen; de León, Manuel Garcia; Mazo, Manuel

    Session C1: SOFT COMPUTING SYSTEMS I
    Session Chair: Cotta, C.

    11.00 - 11.30
    Autonomous Vehicle Navigation Using a Fuzzy Behaviourist Approach
    Wijesoma, Wijerupage Sardha; Khaw, P. P.

    11.30 - 12.00
    Decision Making in Diagnosis of Oral Mucosa Lesions
    Kiseliova, Tatiana; Peters, Hajo

    12.00 - 13.00
    Lunch Break

    13.00 - 14.00
    Invited Lecture 2
    Fuzzy Logic and the Internet: Linguistic Summarization of Distributed Sets of Data
    Kacprzyk, Janusz

    Session A2: FUZZY LOGIC IN IMAGE PROCESSING
    Session Chair: Negoita, M.

    14.00 - 14.30
    Adaptive Color- and Edge-based Image Segmentation Using Fuzzy Techniques
    Leubner, Christian

    14.30 - 15.00
    Computer Aided Diagnosis System of Meniscal Tears with T1 and T2 weighted MR
    Images Based on Fuzzy Inference
    Hata, Yutaka; Kobashi, Syoji; Tokimoto, Yasuhiro; Ishikawa, Makoto; Ishikawa, Hitoshi

    15.00 - 15.30
    A New Paradigm for Fuzzy Aggregation in Multisensorial Image Processing
    Soria-Frisch, Aureli

    Session B2: NEURO-FUZZY SYSTEMS
    Session Chair: Albrecht, R.

    14.00 - 14.30
    An Adaptive Learning Algorithm for a Neuro-Fuzzy Network
    Bodyanskiy, Yevgeniy; Kolodyazhniy, Vitaliy; Stephan, Andreas

    14.30 - 15.00
    Fuzzy Probabilistic Neural Networks: A Practical Approach to the Implementation
    of Baysian Classifier
    Delgosha, Farshid; Menhaj, Mohammad B.

    15.00 - 15.30
    Fuzzy-n for Back Propagation Networks
    Bedzak, Miroslaw

    Session C2: SOFT COMPUTING SYSTEMS II
    Session Chair: Kalina, M.

    14.00 - 14.30
    eaLib - A Java Framework for Implementation of Evolutionary Algorithms
    Rummler, Andreas

    14.30 - 15.00
    Experimental Evaluation of Fuzzy Controllers for an Outdoor AGV
    Wijesoma, Wijerupage Sardha; Kodagoda, K. R. S.; Teoh, E. K.

    15.00 - 15.30
    Time-series Segmentation and Symbolic Representation, from Process-monitoring
    to Data-mining
    Hugueney, Bernard; Bouchon-Meunier, Bernadette

    15.30 - 16.00
    Coffee Break

    Session A3: FUZZY LOGIC IN MEDICAL APPLICATIONS
    Session Chair: Kóczy, L.

    16.00 - 16.30
    Brain State Recognition Using Fuzzy Clustering with Near Infrared Spectroscopy
    Kobashi, Syoji; Hata, Yutaka; Kitamura, Yuri; Yanagida, Toshio

    16.30 - 17.00
    Microcontroller-based Fuzzy Logic Sevofluorane Anesthesia Control System
    Yardimci, Ahmet

    17.00 - 17.30
    Intuitionistic Fuzzy Sets in some Medical Applications
    Szmidt, Eulalia; Kacprzyk, Janusz

    Session B3: NEURAL NETWORKS THEORY
    Session Chair: Aizenberg, J.

    16.00 - 16.30
    Interpretation of Trained Neural Networks by Rule Extraction
    Palade, Vasile

    16.30 - 17.00
    Neural Model Identification Using Local Robustness Anaysis
    Allende, Héctor; Moraga, Claudio; Salas, Rodrigo

    17.00 - 17.30
    Computing with Activities
    Reuter, Matthias

    Session C3: SOFT COMPUTING SYSTEMS III
    Session Chair: Wijesoma, W.

    16.00 - 16.30
    A GA-Based Algorithm with a Very Fast Rate of Convergence
    Seifipour, N.; Menhaj, Mohammad B.

    16.30 - 17.00
    Representing and Learning Conditional Information in Possibility Theory
    Kern-Isberner, Gabriele

    17.00 - 17.30
    Extracting Trapezoidal Membership Functions of a Fuzzy Rule System by Bacterial
    Algorithm
    Botzheim, J.; Hámori, B.; Kóczy L. T.

    19.30
    Conference Banquet
    Words of Greeting
    Lord Mayor Dr. Gerhard Langemeyer, City of Dortmund

    Evening Speech
    Dortmund's New Economic Profile - From Steel-City to E-City
    Dr. Küpper, Economics and Employment Promotion Agency, CEO

    Tuesday, October 2

    8.30 - 9.00
    Morning Coffee

    9.00 - 10.00
    Invited Lecture 3
    Possibility Theory, Probability Theory and Multiple-valued Logics:
    A Clarification
    Dubois, Didier

    Session A4: FUZZY LOGIC THEORY I
    Session Chair: Pykacz, J.

    10.00 - 10.30
    Parameterized Petri Net Reformulation of the Fuzzy Production System
    Gacovski, Zoran M.; Dimirovski, Georgi M.

    10.30 - 11.00
    Fuzzy Topologies Induced by Fuzzy Relation Based Modifiers
    De Cock, Martine; Kerre, Etienne

    11.00 - 11.30
    Advanced Inference Filter Defuzzification
    Krause, Peter

    11.30 - 12.00
    On Cardinality and Singular Fuzzy Sets
    Wygralak, Maciej; Dyczkowski, Krzysztof

    Session B4: NEURAL NETWORKS IN IMAGE PROCESSING I
    Session Chair: Martin, J.L.

    10.00 - 10.30
    Fast Iris Detection for Personal Verification Using Modular Neural Networks
    El-Bakry, Hazem

    10.30 - 11.00
    A Rotation Invariant Algorithm for Face Recognition
    El-Bakry, Hazem

    11.00 - 11.30
    Application of the Neural Networks Based on Multi-Valued Neurons for Classification
    of the Images of Gene Expression Patterns
    Aizenberg, Igor; Myasnikova, Ekaterina; Samsonova, Maria; Reinitz, John

    11.30 - 12.00
    A Multi-purpose Visual Classification System
    Heidemann, Gunther

    Session C4: EVOLUTIONARY ALGORITHMS THEORY I
    Session Chair: Hildebrand, L.

    10.00 - 10.30
    Problem Difficulty in Real-valued Dynamic Problems
    Weicker, Karsten

    10.30 - 11.00
    GeLog - A System Combining Genetic Algorithm with Inductive Logic Programming
    Kókai, Gabriella

    11.00 - 11.30
    Decision Strategies in Evolutionary Optimization
    Takahashi, Arita; Borisov, Arkady N.

    11.30 - 12.00
    A Cluster-based Evolutionary Algorithm for Multi-objective Optimization
    Borgulya, István

    12.00 - 13.00
    Lunch Break

    Session A5: FUZZY LOGIC THEORY II
    Session Chair: Lehmke, S.

    13.00 - 13.30
    Inherent Wave Estimation on Ultrasonic Non-Destructive Testing Using Fuzzy Inference
    Nagamune, Kouki; Hata, Yutaka; Taniguchi, K.

    13.30 - 14.00
    Fuzzy Association Rules: Semantic Issues and Quality Measures
    Hüllermeier, Eyke

    14.00 - 14.30
    Calculation vs. Subjective Assessment with Respect to Fuzzy Probability
    Huang, Chongfu; Moraga, Claudio; Yuan, Xingguang

    14.30 - 15.00
    Methodology of Optimizing Fuzzy Classifiers Based on Computational Intelligence
    Renners, I.; Grauel, Adolf

    Session B5: NEURAL NETWORKS IN IMAGE PROCESSING II
    Session Chair: Palade, V.

    13.00 - 13.30
    Analysing the Structure of Poly-Crystalline Materials by 2-dimensional DLS-Spectra
    and Neural Nets
    Reuter, Matthias

    13.30 - 14.00
    A Neuron-MOS Threshold Element with Switching Capacitors
    Varshavsky, Victor; Marakhovsky, Vyacheclav B.

    14.00 - 14.30
    A Neural Approach to Compression of Hyperspectral Remote Sensing Imagery
    Neagoe, Victor-Emil

    14.30 - 15.00
    Multi-Valued and Universal Binary Neurons: Networks and New Applications in Intelligent
    Image Processing
    Aizenberg, Igor

    Session C5: EVOLUTIONARY ALGORITHMS THEORY II
    Session Chair: Rojas, R.

    13.00 - 13.30
    Hybrid Two-Population Genetic Algorithm
    Dorado de la Calle, Julian; Santos del Riego, Antonino; Rabunal Dopico, Juan Ramón;
    Pedreira Souto, Nieves; Pazos Sierra, Alejandro

    13.30 - 14.00
    Reducing Bloat in Genetic Programming
    Monsieurs, Patrick; Flerackers, Eddy

    14.00 - 14.30
    Too Much Knowledge Hurts: Acceleration of Genetic Programs for Learning Heuristics
    Schmiedle, Frank; Große, Daniel; Drechsler, Rolf; Becker, Bernd

    14.30 - 15.00
    Gaussians-based Hybrid System for Prediction and Classification
    Saavedra, E.; Renners, I.; Grauel, Adolf

    15.00 - 15.30
    Coffee Break

    Session A6: FUFFY LOGIC THEORY III
    Session Chair: Hüllermeier, E.

    15.30 - 16.00
    A Color Problem for Fuzzy Graph
    Bershtein, Leonid S.; Bozhenuk, Alexander V.

    16.00 - 16.30
    On the Uniqueness of Interpretations for Fuzzy IF-THEN Rule Bases
    Thiele, Helmut

    16.30 - 17.00
    Quantum Computers as Fuzzy Computers
    Pykacz, Jaroslaw; Zapatrin, Roman R.

    17.00 - 17.30
    Improvement of the Clusters Searching Algorithm in Sugeno and Yasukawa's
    Qualitative Modeling Approach
    Wong, K. W.; Kóczy, László T.; Gedeon, T. D.; Chong, A.; Tikk, D.

    Session B6: NEURAL NETWORKS APPLICATIONS
    Session Chair: Martyna, J.

    15.30 - 16.00
    Can Perceptrons Identify Users of Body Lotion
    Falkowski, Bernd

    16.00 - 16.30
    Reinforcement Learning for Control of Traffic and Access Points in Intelligent
    Wireless ATM Networks
    Martyna, Jerzy

    16.30 - 17.00
    Categorization of Time Delay by Means of Neural Networks
    Bostelmann, Sabine

    17.00 - 17.30
    Neural Networks as a Tool for Gray Box Modelling in Reactive Distillation
    Dadhe, Kai; Rossmann, V.; Durmus, K.; Engell, S.

    Session C6: EVOLUTIONARY ALGORITHMS APPLICATIONS
    Session Chair: Hildebrand, L.

    15.30 - 16.00
    On Step Width Adaptation in Simulated Annealing for Continuous Parameter Optimization
    Nolle, Lars

    16.00 - 16.30
    GA-based Search for Paths with Minimal Energy Consumption for Mobile Robot Systems
    Gemeinder, Marcus; Gerke, Michael

    16.30 - 17.00
    A New Modified Genetic Algorithm for Multiuser Detection in DS/CDMA Systems
    Shayesteh, Mahrokh G.; Menhaj, Mohammad B.; Nobari, Babak G.; Amindavar, Hamidreza

    17.00 - 17.30
    Clustering of Categoric Data in Medicine - Application of Evolutionary Algorithms
    Villmann, Thomas; Albani, C.

    Wednesday, October 3

    8.30 - 9.00
    Morning Coffee

    9.00 - 10.00
    Invited Lecture 4
    A New Direction in AI - Toward a Computational Theory of Perceptions
    Zadeh, Lotfi A.

    Session A7: FUZZY LOGIC SYSTEMS II
    Session Chair: Thiele, H.

    10.00 - 10.30
    Personalization of Newletters Using Multistage Fuzzy Inference
    Presser, Gero

    10.30 - 11.00
    Fuzzy Techniques for XML Data Smushing
    Damiani, Ernesto; Oliboni, Barbara; Tanca, Letizia

    11.00 - 11.30
    A New Fuzzy-based Multi-objective Optimisation Concept for Process Control Systems
    Bernard, Thomas; Sajidman, Markoto; Kuntze, Helge-Björn

    11.30 - 12.00
    An Improved Shape-Preserving Affine Takagi-Sugeno Controller Using Splines
    Fernández, Felipe

    Session B7: MACHINE LEARNING
    Session Chair: Kerre, E.

    10.00 - 10.30
    METALA: A Meta-Learning Architecture
    Botia Blaya, Juan A.; Gómez-Skarmeta, Antonio F.; Valdés Vela, Mercedes;
    Padilla, Antonio

    10.30 - 11.00
    On-line Signature Verification Using a Computational Intelligence Approach
    Wijesoma, Wijerupage Sardha; Wei, Yue Kwok

    11.00 - 11.30
    Autonomous Driving Through Intelligent Image Processing and Machine Learning
    Krödel, Michael; Kuhnert, Klaus-Dieter

    11.30 - 12.00
    SVD Reduction in Continuous Environment Reinforcement Learning
    Kovács, Szilveszter

    Session C7: SOFT COMPUTING SYTEMS IV
    Session Chair: Grauel, A.

    10.00 - 10.30
    Analyzing Directed Acyclic Graph Recombination
    Cotta, Carlos; Troya, José M.

    10.30 - 11.00
    Rough Set Based Knowledge Discovery of the Interface for Internet Usage Among
    Japanese Elderly Women
    Uchida, Hayato; Hata, Yutaka; Matsuura, Shinro; Morotomi, Yoshio; Aoyama, Hideyasu

    11.00 - 11.30
    Fuzzy Limits and Fuzzy Nearness Relation
    Kalina, Martin

    11.30 - 12.00
    Handwritten Digit Recognition: A Neural Network Demo
    van der Zwaag, Berend Jan

    12.00 - 12.30
    Closing Session

    Poster Sessions Schedule
    ------------------------

    Monday, October 1

    Poster Sessions: P1 – P6

    11.00 – 12.00

    P1
    New Neural Nets
    Kromer, Thomas
    (Germany)

    P2
    Inference in Fuzzy Models of Physical Processes
    Butkiewicz, Bohdan S.
    (Poland)

    P3
    About the Combination of Functional Approaches and Fuzzy Reasoning
    Surmann, Hartmut
    (Germany)

    P4
    Expected Utility Networks in Transferable Belief Model
    Slobodová, Anna
    (Slovakia)

    P5
    Crime Pattern Detection
    Ware, Andrew
    (Great Britain)

    P6
    Computing with Words: Multi-objective Gas for Approximate Reasoning
    Gemeinder, Marcus
    (Germany)

    Poster Sessions: P7 – P12

    14.00 – 15.30

    P7
    The Description of All V-distributive Triangular Norms of Length 2 and 3
    Khadijiev, Djavvat
    Karacal, Funda
    (Turkey)

    P8
    Latent Semantic Analysis for German Literature Investigation
    Nakov, Preslav
    (Bulgaria)

    P9
    Some Possibilities of Improving the CORA Classification Algorithm
    Tipans, Eriks
    Borisov, Arkady
    (Latvia)

    P10
    Computer Aided Selection of Cutting Parameters by Using Fuzzy Logic
    Dereli, Türkay
    Yilmaz, Oguzhan
    Görut, Günseli
    (Turkey)

    P11
    Process Monitoring in Chemical Plants Using Neural Networks
    Neumann, Joachim
    Deerberg, Görge
    Schlüter, Stefan
    Fahlenkamp, Hans
    (Germany)

    P12
    Fuzzy Probability and Power System Safety
    Dumitrescu, Mariana
    Munteanu, Toader
    (Romania)

    Tuesday, October 2

    Poster Sessions: P13 – P18

    10.00 – 12.00

    P13
    A Fuzzy Logic System Used in Safety Analysis
    Dumitrescu, Mariana
    Munteanu, Toader
    (Romania)

    P14
    Chaining of Fuzzy Rules in Rete Network
    Sosnowski, Zenon A.
    (Poland)

    P15
    A Fuzzy Relation for Comparing Intervals
    Calin, Marins
    (Romania)

    P16
    Tomography in Fractal Neural Nets
    Kromer, Thomas
    (Germany)

    P17
    Fuzzy Approach in Ultrasound Image Segmentation
    Kolár, Radim
    Kozumplik, Jiri
    (Czech Republic)

    P18
    Dynamic Decision Making based on Partial Probability Information
    Presser, Gero
    (Germany)

    Poster Sessions: P19 – P23

    13.00 – 15.00

    P19
    AMA: An OWA Operator Based on the Majority Process
    Peláez J.I.
    (Spain)

    P20
    DSP Implementation of Fuzzy Controlled Magnetic Levitation System
    Orhan, Ahmet
    Akin, Erhan
    Karaköse, Mehmet
    (Turkey)

    P21
    Programming Work Simulator of the Ann-Based Integrated Protection
    System for the Reversible Hydro Generating Sets
    Halinka, A.
    Szewczyk, M.
    (Poland)

    P22
    Blending of 2D Objects Using Fuzzy Logic
    Cinar, Ahmet
    Arslan, Ahmet
    (Turkey)

    P23
    The Design and Implementation of Color Matching System Based on
    Incremental Knowledge Discovery Algorithms
    Zhang, HaiYi
    Bi, JianDang
    (Finland)

    Accomodation
    ------------

    Hotel accommodation at preferential rates for delegates has been
    arranged at the following hotels under keyword "FUZZY":

    Steigenberger Maxx Hotel Dortmund ****

    Berswordtstraße 2
    D-44139 Dortmund
    Phone +49 231 9021-666
    Fax +49 231 9021-999
    Single room/night : DM 150,00
    Double room/ night DM 190,00
    Near city centre / 15 min by taxi to the conference location

    Sol Inn Hotel Dortmund ***

    Emil-Figge-Straße 41
    D-44227 Dortmund
    Phone +49 231 97 05 0
    Fax +49 231 97 05 444
    Single room/night DM 139,00
    Only 5 min. by taxi/bus or 15 min. walk to the conference location

    Hotel Drees ****
    Hotel Consul ***

    Hohe Straße 107
    D-44139 Dortmund
    Phone +49 231 12 99-666
    Fax +49 231 12 99-555
    Consul *** DM 110,00 a night
    Drees **** DM 145,00 a night
    Near city centre / 15 min. by taxi to the conference location

    Hotel Atlanta **

    Ostenhellweg 51
    D-44136 Dortmund
    Phone +49 231 55 70 75-0
    Fax +49 231 5 86 00 54
    different prices from DM 65,00 to DM 85,00
    In the city centre / 30 minutes by taxi/public transport to the conference location

    Kolpinghaus Dortmund e. V.

    Silberstraße 24-26
    D-44137 Dortmund
    Phone +49 231 14 00 74
    Fax +49 231 14 26 54
    room with shower/WC DM 59,00
    room without shower/WC DM 45,00
    including breakfast
    In the city centre / 20 min. by public transport/taxi to the conference location

    Dortmunder Verkehrsverein e. V.
    Königswall 20
    D-44137 Dortmund
    Phone +49 231 502 21 74
    Fax. +49 231 1635 93

    Registration Form
    -----------------

    For registration information please consult the 7th Fuzzy Days website
    http://ls1-www.cs.uni-dortmund.de/fd7/registration.pdf

    Location
    --------

    The conference takes place in the rooms of Comline + Quantum
    Address:
    Hauert 1
    D-44227 Dortmund (Technologiepark)

    For additional location information please consult the 7th Fuzzy Days website
    http://ls1-www.cs.uni-dortmund.de/fd7/location.html