can Fuzzy Logic help?

From: laohu zhou (boston01a2000@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 31 2001 - 19:55:58 MET DST

    I am developing a real-time identification system. The input is
    insurance claim that contains data element about patient such as name,
    address, date of birth, member IDs, ete. The system has to identify a
    person in a very membership database using these data elements.
    Knowing the data error comes from both database and claims, the
    current system applies weights on the return code of each data
    element matching, and then cut off records based on a threshold value.
     The schema is 'fuzzy' without ANY fuzzy set implemented.

    I am new to Fuzzy Logic application. My question, is this kind of
    problem that Fuzzy Logic can be put in use? We are talking about
    Fuzzy values(return code values and weights) of fuzzy variables that
    are totally arbitrary.

    your insight is greatly appreciated.

    laohu