No (Re: Is there anything wrong with fuzzy inference?)

From: Bruno Di Stefano (nuptek@sympatico.ca)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 11:24:28 MET DST

    --------------19FA8A45DEDB92E77E32D58E

    There is no reason to dismiss fuzzy logic, fuzzy sets, and all
    related science & technology. Indeed, a lot of good work gets
    done everyday by means of fuzzy logic (using the term in general).

    Maybe I should not have answered the question, because I am
    not a critic of fuzzy logic :-)

    Maybe, it would be more useful if we were to concentrate on
    more practical issues. For instance, how do we deal with
    the "curse of dimensionality" and with the "explosion of
    number of rules"?

    I am not criticising your posting, Will. I have read a lot of
    your past postings and always liked them. I know that you
    are a serious guy. I am just writing about the fact that after
    so many years we still have to justify ourselves for using
    a "multi-valued continuous logic" that unfortunately has
    been called "fuzzy logic".

    Best regards

    Bruno

    predictr@bellatlantic.net wrote:

    > It is apparent that my last attempt to shed light on this subject has
    > failed miserably, and that all sorts of side issues were raised which
    > are irrelevant to the question of fuzzy logic's effectiveness at solving
    > problems.
    >
    > The most common variety of fuzzy logic system is the fuzzy rule base
    > which accepts one or more continuous values as input and yields a
    > continuous output: fuzzy rule bases are functions of real numbers.
    >
    > My question to fuzzy critics is: if such functions can economically be
    > made to serve as approximations to variables in real-world processes
    > (they are a form of regression), is there any legitimate reason to
    > dismiss their use out of hand?
    >
    > Will Dwinnell
    > predictor@dwinnell.com

    -- Bruno Di Stefano ----------------------------------------
    Business: nuptek@sympatico.ca www3.sympatico.ca/nuptek
    UofT: bruno@ecf.toronto.edu www.ecf.toronto.edu/~bruno
    IEEE: b.distefano@ieee.org
    Private: brunodistefano@hotmail.com
    entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you receive
    this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from
    any computer.
    --------------19FA8A45DEDB92E77E32D58E

    begin:vcard
    n:Di Stefano;Bruno
    x-mozilla-html:FALSE
    org:Nuptek Systems Ltd
    version:2.1
    email;internet:nuptek@sympatico.ca
    title:Bruno Di Stefano
    tel;fax:416 925 7288
    tel;work:416 925 7231
    adr;quoted-printable:;;15 McMurrich Street=0D=0Asuite 1002;Toronto;Ontario;M5R 3M6;Canada
    note;quoted-printable:nuptek@sympatico.ca=0D=0Anupteksystemsltd@gosympatico.ca
    x-mozilla-cpt:;0
    fn:Bruno Di Stefano
    end:vcard