Re: Thomas' Fuzziness and Probability

From: Herman Rubin (hrubin@odds.stat.purdue.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2001 - 00:19:46 MET DST

    In article <%yKc7.52091$m8.16672957@news1.rdc1.md.home.com>,
    Earl Cox <earldcox1@home.com> wrote:
    >I suppose the statements:

    >>The important distinction is not
    >> between bivalent logic and multivalent logic, but between
    >> meta-language and object language. A bivalent logic in the
    >> meta-language is perfectly adequate for the purpose of modeling the
    >> fuzziness in the object language.

    >must make sense to someone. But any metalanguage
    >that can convert two-valued logic into continuous valued
    >logic must be, at heart, fuzzy logic (since this is exactly
    >what fuzzy logic, via the extension Principle, does.)

    I repeat, nobody has been able to make anything sensible
    in the form of a linear continuous truth-value system.
    Probability is not a truth-value system, but a scale
    resting on a Boolean one.

    In any truth-value system, the truth of a statement made
    by combining other statements with logical operators
    depends only on the truth-values and the operators. The
    truth-value of A OR B depends ONLY on those of A and B.
    If A has truth-value 1/2, and B has truth-value 1/2, the
    truth-value of A OR B is the same if B=A or if B = ~A.

    Probability is NOT truth-value, and does not try to be.
    Fuzziness tries to be.

    --
    This address is for information only.  I do not claim that these views
    hrubin@stat.purdue.edu         Phone: (765)494-6054   FAX: (765)494-0558