fuzzy logic and automatic transmission

From: jok (jok@erols.com)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 13:22:46 MET DST

    Hi,

    I am trying to figure out if I should go buy a particular car. I think the
    manufacturer is using a control system based on fuzzy logic, but I keep
    seeing some posts on this car indicating that there might be some issues.

    The shiftin from one gear to another might stall for a bit of time.

    Apparently, the factory will READ the firmware and maybe some data and
    re-program the on-board processor in the car to fix issue. But, they can't
    do this off of the production line. Only on a case by case basis.

    Anyone have experience in using fuzzy logic in a real world control system
    and can share the potential hazards if the designers/system architects are
    naive?

    Thanks.

    Jim