Re: Is there anything wrong with fuzzy inference?

From: Herman Rubin (hrubin@odds.stat.purdue.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 12 2001 - 03:44:47 MET DST

    In article <3B6FE4A1.3040909@bellatlantic.net>,
     <predictr@bellatlantic.net> wrote:
    >It is apparent that my last attempt to shed light on this subject has
    >failed miserably, and that all sorts of side issues were raised which
    >are irrelevant to the question of fuzzy logic's effectiveness at solving
    >problems.

    >The most common variety of fuzzy logic system is the fuzzy rule base
    >which accepts one or more continuous values as input and yields a
    >continuous output: fuzzy rule bases are functions of real numbers.

    >My question to fuzzy critics is: if such functions can economically be
    >made to serve as approximations to variables in real-world processes
    >(they are a form of regression), is there any legitimate reason to
    >dismiss their use out of hand?

    I think the question is, what is inference?

    If inference is belief, it is likely to be all wrong
    anyhow; the current theories are just wrong, and the
    null hypotheses, at least as tested, are false.

    So I consider the sole problem as what action should be
    taken, and if more than one, they should be essentially
    equivalent. This is what "fuzzy inference" does not
    address.

    --
    This address is for information only.  I do not claim that these views
    hrubin@stat.purdue.edu         Phone: (765)494-6054   FAX: (765)494-0558