Re: Humans think fuzzy?

From: Tcmits1 (tcmits1@cs.com)
Date: Sat May 12 2001 - 18:05:14 MET DST

    I don't know the answer in general. However, I don't think its a 'philosophic'
    question, it should be an anatomic or brain thing.

    I'm reading or will attempt to read an interesting book on how the mind/brain
    relates to mathematical thinking.

    "Where Mathematics Comes From, How the Emobodied Mind Brings Mathematics into
    Being" by George Lakoff and Rafael E. Nunez

    ISBN: 0-46503770-4

    Pretty interesting.

    Unfortunately, on a quick browse of the book, I did not see anything that sheds
    any light on the present question. I didn't even see a section on
    probability.

    BTW, in general I see many books jump over the topic of Uncertainty systems
    such as probability or Fuzzy Sets. Seems humans are embarrased to admit that
    MOST reasoning IS vague, uncertain, chance, guessing, ........

    But, wouldn't the fact that brains are some kind of NN system (albeit complex),
    mean there has to be forms of information granularization or clustering which
    would favor uncertainty systems naturally. So, yes, humans do use 'Fuzzy'
    logic and even Fuzzy probability. Perhaps we form transcendent (below
    consciouse recall) concept maps with fuzzy distance functions. who knows?????

    Josef