ISIPTA '01: Call for Participation

From: Gert de Cooman (Gert.DeCooman@rug.ac.be)
Date: Wed May 09 2001 - 01:03:06 MET DST

    Your help with circulating this announcement locally would be very much
    appreciated. We apologise if you receive multiple copies of this
    message.

    If you haven't received this mail through some electronic mailing list,
    this means that you have expressed some interest in the previous ISIPTA
    symposium, or that we received your address from one of our colleagues
    who thought this message might be of interest to you.

    If you do not want to receive further information about ISIPTA '01,
    please send a short message saying so to smc@decsai.ugr.es. If you have
    sent us such a message before, and keep receiving our mails, it's
    possible that you are a member of a mailing list to which our message is
    cross-posted.

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    ISIPTA '01

    THE SECOND INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON
    IMPRECISE PROBABILITIES AND THEIR APPLICATIONS

    Cornell University
    Ithaca, NY, USA
    26 - 29 June 2001

    CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    The Second International Symposium on Imprecise Probabilities and Their
    Applications (ISIPTA '01), will be held at the Robert Purcell Community
    Center of Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA, from 26 till 29 June
    2001.

    Symposium web site
    ------------------
    All information relating to the symposium is published on the symposium
    web site: http://ippserv.rug.ac.be/~isipta01

    The papers
    ----------
    A total of 47 papers will be presented at ISIPTA '01, on a wide range of
    topics, and in various fields of scientific endeavour: algorithms for
    computing inferences, ambiguity aversion and Ellsberg's paradox, belief
    change, civil engineering, classification and pattern recognition,
    coherence, combination of uncertainties, conditioning, credal networks,
    decision-making, economic and financial models, elicitation of models,
    foundations of probability, hierarchical models, independence and
    irrelevance, mathematical models for uncertainty, probabilistic logic,
    reliability, statistical inference, and summary measures of uncertainty.

    All the papers published in these proceedings have gone through a
    careful reviewing and selection process. Our aim throughout has been to
    produce a symposium and proceedings meeting the highest standards.

    A list of accepted papers can be found at
    http://ippserv.rug.ac.be/~isipta01/accepted.html.

    Electronic proceedings can be consulted at
    http://ippserv.rug.ac.be/~isipta01/proceedings/index.html

    The sessions
    ------------
    In order to promote discussion and interaction between participants,
    ISIPTA '01 offers what we believe to be a novel conference format. The
    47 accepted papers are each provided with a morning poster session, as
    well as a 20 minute plenary discussion later that same day where (i)
    authors have the opportunity to give a brief overview of their research
    interests and an explanation of how the conference paper fits into that
    research agenda; and (ii) participants and authors can engage in public
    discussion about the issues addressed in the paper. There will be no
    invited speakers and no parallel sessions.

    Detailed program information can be found at
    http://ippserv.rug.ac.be/~isipta01/program.html

    What is imprecise probability?
    ------------------------------
    Imprecise probability is a generic term for the many mathematical models
    which measure chance or uncertainty without sharp numerical
    probabilities. These models include belief functions, Choquet
    capacities, comparative probability orderings, convex sets of
    probability measures, fuzzy measures, interval-valued probabilities,
    possibility measures, plausibility measures, and upper and lower
    expectations or previsions. Such models are needed in inference problems
    where the relevant information is scarce, vague or conflicting, and in
    decision problems where preferences may also be incomplete.

    See the IPP web site <http://ippserv.rug.ac.be> for introductory
    articles about imprecise probabilities, an extensive bibliography, and a
    collection of survey articles on special types of imprecise probability
    models.

    Symposium language
    ------------------
    The working language of the symposium will be English. No simultaneous
    translation in other languages will be available.

    Registration
    ------------

    Detailed registration information can be found at
    http://ippserv.rug.ac.be/~isipta01/register.html

    Accommodation
    -------------

    We have made reservations for a limited number of Townhouse Apartments
    close to the conference facilities. As soon as we run out of these,
    you'll have to look for proper accommodation (further away from where
    the conference will be held). So, if you intend to attend the
    conference, it is in your own interest to register as soon as possible,
    and make reservations for accommodation.

    See our accommodation page for more information:
    http://ippserv.rug.ac.be/~isipta01/accommodation.html

    Important dates
    ----------------

    Early registration deadline 31 May 2001
    Symposium: 26 - 29 June 2001

    Questions
    ---------
    If you have any questions about the symposium, please contact the
    Organising Committee, at the following address:

    Terrence Fine
    Director
    Center for Applied Mathematics
    Rhodes Hall 612