Re: sorting without key

From: predictr@bellatlantic.net
Date: Sat Mar 03 2001 - 15:18:58 MET

    Raphael Schefold asked:
    "I have an algorithmic problem: How can I sort (in some way) elements
    in a list without a key? Suppose snowflakes: Size, circumference, speed,
    mass etc. These dimensions of the snowflakes are not correlating, but I
    would like to put the snowflakes in some (fuzzy) order. How do I mix the
    orders for each dimension? Everything from links to answers is welcome!"

    Two things occur to me: First, one might extract a single "best" measure
    from the features of interest (size, mass, etc.) using their largest
    principal component. Second, consider using a non-linear arrangement of
    items, such as s-trees ("similarity trees"), which were described in an
    old issue of "AI Expert" magazine. In that article, the things being
    related were leaves, and the basic idea was to construct a tree in which
    nodes which are closer together represented items which are more
    similar.

    Will Dwinnell
    predictor@dwinnell.com