Nice instructive application example for fuzzy control

From: Stephan Lehmke (Stephan.Lehmke@cs.uni-dortmund.de)
Date: Tue Feb 06 2001 - 18:54:18 MET

    Hi all,

    I'm currently giving an introductory lecture on fuzzy set theory and
    fuzzy logic which is biased rather heavily towards theory (in german;
    see http://lrb.cs.uni-dortmund.de/~lehmke/EFL/). Having discussed the
    mathematical foundations of fuzzy control, the students asked me to
    give examples of "real world applications" of fuzzy control, which I'm
    not thoroughly prepared for ;-)

    I have some material from a past lecture on applications, but it is
    rather dated (Sendai train control & the like), and I'm looking for
    newer material. Of course, I can look into FSS, IEEE Transactions On
    Fuzzy Systems or proceedings of recent conferences, but finding the
    perfect example for a lecture might prove rather tedious. Maybe
    someone here has been in a similar situation recently, so I don't have
    to reinvent the wheel.

    So my question is: Does anyone know of a presentation about a `real'
    application of fuzzy control which

    a) gives a detailed account of the design process including problem
    description, design of the control system (single or multi stage),
    choice of parameters and rationale for rule base design and

    b) is self-contained enough to be presented in a 90min lecture to
    graduate students (with theoretical background knowledge on fuzzy
    control)?

    I'd prefer material available online, but I'd appreciate any pointers
    or references.

    Thanks in advance
    Stephan

    --
      Stephan Lehmke     		 Stephan.Lehmke@cs.uni-dortmund.de
      Fachbereich Informatik, LS I	 Tel. +49 231 755 6434