Fuzzy logic and queing theory...

From: Gerasimos Neofytos (neofytg@sbu.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 06 2001 - 06:26:53 MET

    I am looking into water distribution networks, consumers behaviour, mainly
    in developing countries. The water distribution in those countries is
    intermittent ( a few hours a day ) and a big number of consumers (mainly low
    income) are queueing in standpipes to collect water. What I want is to make
    a mathematical model to simulate that behaviour and come up with the overall
    demand in a standpipe. My first thought is "queueing theory" but I'd like to
    involve "fuzzy logic" into the model because the standpipe customers
    behavior is not "crisp". (noone can say that customer -x- will wait in the
    que for -y- minutes and he'll get -z- amount of water.

    I will welcome any ideas on the above...

    Thank you in advance...

    Gerasimos Neofytos
    Research Scholar
    Water Development Research Unit